Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newb here and to the CX...

I'm leaking oil from this hole in the side of the cylinder housing (see picture).

The right side of the in general seems to be sputtering while the left side sounds great. I'm assuming the cause of the leak is causing this problem. There is a little oil resting in the spark plug. With that said, anyone know what could be causing oil to pour out of here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

79 CX500

·
Super Moderator
23,734 Posts
The inner ring on your valve cover gasket is probably leaking. Unless it is physically damaged you should be able to clean it and use a thin smear of RTV on either side of the gasket and reassemble.

These gaskets are made of rubber and can generally be used ad nauseum.

The splutter may be your sparkplug being shorted out by the oil leak. That is why the hole is there to drain oil and water from around the plug.

Clean, degrease and dried the plug should be alright to re use. Also the plug cap if it has oil on it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Clean, degrease and dried the plug should be alright to re use. Also the plug cap if it has oil on it.
''By all means the connector and the plug body itself should be spotless aside from a tiny amount of spark plug boot grease (or any silicone electrical grease) in the connector.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Worst case TAS or the other usuals have them except if you CALL TAS and mention you read about them on this forum you get free shipping as well as a possible discount. (260) 563-6937

They can take credit/debit cards directly so it eliminate the PayPal fees for them.

While you're at it you may as well get a three pack of oil filters, an air filter if needed and any seals that are leaking as they have most of them.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I used the RTV and it solved the problem I originally posted. Now I show to be leaking oil from the tensioner lock bolt. I want to change all of the gaskets, but I don't have a place to leave the bike apart if I don't get everything done in a day. Any suggestions on a temporary fix until I can find a garage to work in?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
So I used the RTV and it solved the problem I originally posted. Now I show to be leaking oil from the tensioner lock bolt. I want to change all of the gaskets, but I don't have a place to leave the bike apart if I don't get everything done in a day. Any suggestions on a temporary fix until I can find a garage to work in?

Thanks in advance

I had that same leak a month or so ago and posted about it here:http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/4963-need-ideas-to-stop-an-oil-leak/page__p__56544__fromsearch__1#entry56544

I finally solved it by using clear silicone RTV and letting it sit for a few days to fully cure. No need to remove anything or take anything off, just a few bucks for the RTV.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.