Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Fairly new at this. Apologies in advance if im pointing out the wrong part /description / problem.
Any way just above the cranckcase breather is a bolt with a gap and oil leak. Initially I thought it came from the bottle crankcase breather. Replaced the O-ring and found that the oil is leaking from a bolt just above it.

View attachment 35413 View attachment 35413

Not sure if it is obvious on the photo but the bolt doesn't seem to be seated properly. Looked at some pics online and it looks like it is where the cam chain tensioner should be. Didn't want to tighten it without some expert advice. Also have this ominous feeling that this may be a more complicated fix.

Would appreciate any help from the masters here.

Thanks is advance

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
If it's not much of a leak I would be inclined to ignore it until the rear cover needs to come out for something more substantial. It is an engine out, rear cover off job.

Your problem though is a $1 O ring .... plus a gasket set and liquids.

Don't attempt to tighten it, it's tension isn't the problem. You could silicon it up for now .... but I don't like that approach. It makes people reluctant to perform the adjustment and tends to get put off forever as a repair.

The temporary has a horrible habit of becoming permanent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CXPHREAK. I just bought a prototype raesan unit a month ago that I substitute with the stock CDI. It does come with a hall effect kit that I will have to install down the road. I'll just go ahead and fix install the o ring then. I'd hate to start another thread in here by then so for the purpose of being sure I cover all my bases may I ask what the part description and what parts I need and should replace while I am already in there?

Truly appreciate the help sir. Have a good day!

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
No real need to remove the whole rear cover to install the hall effect either. It can be done through a smaller cover on the rear cover.

I would check your camchain though. First do the adjustment per the FSM. Then try to do a mirror inspection. The cam can be waggled with the cooling fan to check for camchain slack too.

I would perform the tests on the stator. The colour of the stator can be checked when installing the hall as a portion of the stator can be seen looking in here. They go black when they get old but start off near a toffee colour. They're very sus when black. Also, you may see green epoxy which says aftermarket stator.

If you figure out the condition of these items you can begin to formulate a plan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.