Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike has been full of surprises and had another recently. Here is how it went....

So, I wound up finding a source for non-ethanol gas. I was thinking I found a unicorn in a sea of corn gas. Bought about 10 gallons for my small motors, etc...
First to get the new gas was the CX500C. Drained all the corn out and put in the REAL GAS! A week or so later I was back rummaging in my garage and I smelled gas. Looked down at the nearest thing that had gas, the CX500C. So I checked the cutoff valve, it was closed and wet on the exterior. Pulled the bike out to look at it closer. Pulled the fuel hose off the carburetors and it was dripping as well. Float needle valves saved the day. It appears the REAL gas cleaned out all the corn residue from my valve and caused the issue. Went to eBay and got a valve that is supposed to fit a 250cc ATV or something, and it fit. :cool: Comparing the old valve and the new one, I discovered the old valve had vacuum fittings. My guess is that since the bike has evidence that it was laid down, someone got a used gas tank and just bolted it up without considering the vacuum cutoff valve as I have not seen any stray hoses under the tank etc... So, having said that I noticed a distinct improvement in performance today out for a 15 mile ride. Most pleased with my new valve that was not meant for my bike. :love:

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Non-oxy has its place, it's all I use in my mower, chainsaw, leaf blower, and bikes, basically anything that might be sitting around a while. If I go on an all day ride I buy regular since it is going to get all burned up anyway. Talking about non-oxy vs. corn juice is beating a dead horse, still, I do go get it at the station a couple miles away. It would be nice if there was no such thing as corn juice but that's the world we live in now.

·
Super Moderator
13,431 Posts
I seriously doubt that the change of fuel had much to do with the petcock beginning to leak. It is far more likely that the rubber parts in the petcock were just old and their time was up.

BTW: If your old petcock was a vacuum type and there isn't a vacuum hose the vacuum part of it would have had to be bypassed for fuel to flow.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My closest gas station has non-alcohol gasoline. But when I went there this spring, while the other pumps were under $2.00, the non-alcohol gas was still $4.50. Maybe it sells so slowly that they still had pre-gas wars fuel in their tank.
So I decided to save that for the last tank before winter and the generator and snow blower.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
So old gas without alcohol is better than fresh gas with? I don't see the logic in that...
Depends on how old. When regular got down to $1.399 at Costco I put 30 gallons in the Excursion , about 3/4 tank. That was 3 weeks ago, and it is getting a bit ripe. So now, I can't afford to NOT drive the Excursion, have to burn that old corn juice up before it goes bad. Don't have that problem with non-oxy. Everything is relative. My gallon of pre-mix for the chainsaw, mower, and leafblower can sit around all summer and never go bad, can't do that if it was grown by an Iowa farmer.

·
Super Moderator
13,431 Posts
They must do ethanol different there than they do here. With Kay home more I've been driving even less this year so I rarely fill Eccles more than once in a month (& always with E10) and it hasn't caused me any problems so far.
And when Kay had surgery a couple of years ago her CR-V sat for a couple of months with the same part tank of E10 in it and still ran OK.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The old valve did seep some around the knob when I got the bike, which after having fuel in it over time it actually stopped seeping. Also, I would venture to say a 4 year old vacuum valve would not have worked at all. However, my 40 year old valve was intermittent at best with the valve passing fuel. I rode around with it for a couple of years, albeit not efficiently. The mechanical valve was working as designed for a couple of years just fine till I put the new gas in there and I was not riding at all. The bike was just sitting there until I found it in the leaky state, however you want to interpret this is your business. I started to take apart the vacuum valve to see if it was bypassed and all the guts were in it. Think I will not be posting anymore experiences, sorry for the inconvenience I caused anyone.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Jibbrown continue posting your experiences, don't let this thread drift bother you. There are strong feelings about some subjects, one of which is ethanol in gasoline. That topic will almost always cause a discussion, usually unrelated to the original post.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
A search on ethanol in fuel on this site brought up almost as many posts as what oil to use!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hmmmm...... interesting leap to a conclusion.

My first car was a 1963 Buick which I purchased in 1976 with over 100K miles. I was a poor HS student. Ethanol fuel at a 10% blend was less expensive. I burned the cheap stuff. Never had a fuel problem with that ol' rusty Buick. That car was built well before 10% blend was on the market.

I have been burning 10% Ethanol for nearly 45 years in all my engines. Never have I had a problem with fuel, gaskets, carbs, injectors, floats........

I know my experience is anecdotal, but think about this....... If 10% Ethanol was the catastrophic issue as believed, then wouldn't there be a significant outcry???

I recall when the 10% hit the market, there were many hypothesis and hype about the dire consequences. Unfortunately, many of those mythconceptions still survive after 45 years.

The true performance degradation is there is less energy in a 10% blend than a non-blend. Meaning you will consume more fuel for the distance traveled and experience a corresponding reduction in fuel mileage (mpg). There is probably a slight decrease in horsepower, likely only detectable with a dynamometer.

The change from Bias ply tires to Radial tires had a similar level of mythconceptions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more thing. :censored: Perhaps you guys are all high latitude and have less or no issues with ethanol. I have been members of 2 different yacht clubs and have raced sailed and cruised all matters of sailboats for 30+ years. The collective thought here on the docks is that is causes nothing but issues with outboard motors, especially after 3 months of not burning it up. Maybe the high temperature has something to do with the breakdown of the fuel since I am in the middle of Texas. I just got tired of dealing with the stuff so I got rid of all my outboards and just use a trolling motor on my bigger boat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I guess the best bet is to, keep your tank full and use up the E10 as much as you can. Or in my case, where I do not use the bike very often I'll just put non-ethanol. Problem solved.
Now I need to get the rust out of my tank caused by moisture?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts