Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this price of literary genius is available as a download? I read over my buddies and this publication is truly a phenomenon, but I'd prefer to have it on a device than as a hard copy.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Out of respect for the time, effort and knowlege put in by the creator, we just buy the book.

Reactions: Velorex

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
An e-book is not dis-respectful, but it would be another source of funds to Larry. I too would prefer an E-book version. My nook gets way more face time now than any paper page book will ever see again. Sign of the times.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's fair enough. Even if it was an equal donation of $30, sign me up.

Reactions: Adam312

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
An e-book is not dis-respectful, but it would be another source of funds to Larry. I too would prefer an E-book version. My nook gets way more face time now than any paper page book will ever see again. Sign of the times.
Didn't say 'disrespectful,' there is a difference;) Maybe he will take the suggestion for an e-book.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Too easy to copy and share, that is why I wouldn't be offering it up...imho....we are not all angels are we....?

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Hi folks,
I appreciate the interest in being able to get my book as an E-book. I looked into it years ago and found that it would be somewhere about 3K to get a program that would let me protect the files from being copied and shared easily.
That would have made the cost of the book way to high to recoup the cost. So getting it in hard copy will always be the only way to get it.

Just to share a bit of exciting info, as well as the link to my book being in my signature, this week I was notified by Randall Washington, Randakk's Cycle Shack, that he's linked my book to his web site as a recommended rebuild reference. This was quit an honor since I didn't even know it was going to happen. Here's his link to the CX500 variant kits with it listed. Honda CX500 & Variants - Randakk Master Carb Overhaul Kit® | Randakk's Cycle Shakk

Larry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats, man. Seriously. Be proud.

I'm still thumbing through a copy of your book my cousin has kicking around. I'm not sure if I've got the mechanical inclination to rip open a carburetor yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts

I'm still thumbing through a copy of your book my cousin has kicking around. I'm not sure if I've got the mechanical inclination to rip open a carburetor yet.
The only way to do it is doing it. When you have the mindset........and the tools.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Easiest way? Take lots and lots of cell pics of each piece and every time you dismantle a stage. Find this works best for me.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have his book and if you do not know carbs it is absolutely important to get one before you tear into your carbs. Therefore I have mine to sell if that is OK, $20 plus shipping and it's yours. I hate to see it going to waste.....if it isn't cool then I will remove post.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have his book and if you do not know carbs it is absolutely important to get one before you tear into your carbs. Therefore I have mine to sell if that is OK, $20 plus shipping and it's yours. I hate to see it going to waste.....if it isn't cool then I will remove post.
If not sold via this thread Willy, I'm sure if will be sold in a quick minute through the Buying & Selling thread. :icon_thumbright:

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Easiest way? Take lots and lots of cell pics of each piece and every time you dismantle a stage. Find this works best for me.
I have to humbly disagree with your statement and it will probably make you laugh. The easiest way to clean your carbs is to send them directly to Larry. :D

The next easiest way is to work on them using his book. :D

Reactions: chocolatelvis

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have to humbly disagree with your statement and it will probably make you laugh. The easiest way to clean your carbs is to send them directly to Larry. :D

The next easiest way is to work on them using his book. :D
HAha! That actually DID make me laugh and you're probably correct. Larry did do a great job on producing this book. Though in my case I now longer use keihin carbs, but now Murrays, but I am in full agreement on both points you mention. As for pics, I have no memory on how things are put back together once I dismantle anything, so for me, taking pictures of every step is crucial David. ;P

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi folks,
I appreciate the interest in being able to get my book as an E-book. I looked into it years ago and found that it would be somewhere about 3K to get a program that would let me protect the files from being copied and shared easily.
That would have made the cost of the book way to high to recoup the cost. So getting it in hard copy will always be the only way to get it.

Just to share a bit of exciting info, as well as the link to my book being in my signature, this week I was notified by Randall Washington, Randakk's Cycle Shack, that he's linked my book to his web site as a recommended rebuild reference. This was quit an honor since I didn't even know it was going to happen. Here's his link to the CX500 variant kits with it listed. Honda CX500 & Variants - Randakk Master Carb Overhaul Kit® | Randakk's Cycle Shakk

Larry
Larry:

Very glad to recommend your excellent booklet!

By the way, I've authored a fair amount of copyrighted material myself and I agree with your assessment regarding protecting intellectual property. I have a tech sector background, so I'm not anti-technology. But, I've looked carefully at eBooks, downloadable videos, etc., etc. My conclusion: these technologies are essentially piracy enablers.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
205 Posts
That and the book was a help to me - LOTS of little parts - I might even do it again I had so much fun last time. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,333 Posts
It depends on the carbs but it's somewhere around the $300 mark. In case that number makes you squeemish I do have to say that includes $160 worth of rubber and other parts. Along with polishing the carbs and guaranteeing that they work. I have had Larry do 4 sets for me and I will be sending out another set in the fall. I have never had any regrets with his work except for the fact I wish he lived closer so I could drop in.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just click on the link of Larry's signature line.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts