Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally brought my bike over to Larry for a tune up. The bike havent been ridden in 3 yrs. 2 hours later, he got it running like a kitten..(it would have taken sooner, but he keep going over to the frige and grabbing a beer!) hahahah. He also rebuilt my carbs...its spotless! Hella of a job.!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
click on the 3rd pick for the video of the bike running!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I like the "I-V" bottle gas tank. I use a small can and hose and attach it to the frame bolt for the ignition coil. May just get a longer gas hose (need new hose anyway) and make it longer.

Looks real smooth there. I still have a slight vibe in mine at idle, but I haven't fully cracked the carbs and done the Larry approach to refurbishing. And yes, I have his book! Just no time lately.

Larry didn't crack the garage door for ventilation?
I always open mine and use a fan to blow out the exhaust. Too many headaches for me in the past and CO poisoning is serious sh!t.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the "I-V" bottle gas tank. I use a small can and hose and attach it to the frame bolt for the ignition coil. May just get a longer gas hose (need new hose anyway) and make it longer.

Looks real smooth there. I still have a slight vibe in mine at idle, but I haven't fully cracked the carbs and done the Larry approach to refurbishing. And yes, I have his book! Just no time lately.

Larry didn't crack the garage door for ventilation?
I always open mine and use a fan to blow out the exhaust. Too many headaches for me in the past and CO poisoning is serious sh!t.
He did have a back door that was open and his garage also have a fan and AC.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Two words come to mind. Motorcycle Lift.

Really surprised you don't have one yet, Larry!

Be still my aching back.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Be still my aching back.
Thats funny, because Larry and I was talking about it. He's getting one today!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Just picked myself up an engine jack, as I figure it will make the job a little easier (plus I saw it and just had to have it lol).

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts

Be still my aching back.
Yes Steve, I have felt the pain of all the bending over for a long time. Sinjin offered me his HF lift today for all the rest of the work that needs to be done on his bike. So of coarse I jumped on it. I'm so jazzed I have a lift now that this bike may end up all polished and detailed just to say thank you. Can we say GRATEFUL! Yesterday I spent two hours working on a neighbors lawn mower. In the end it turned out he had filled the tank with water. Du#@.A**.! I hurt so bad after that I had to do the hot tub, Advil and rest. I see a bright future ahead now for my back now.

The two words in my mind were " T Shirt"
Believe me Pullo, if I would have known he was taking that picture there would have been a T shirt. In fact, I may not have been in the picture in the first place! As you can see I'm not so photogenic.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Damn ... now after seeing the bike lift I REALLY want one lol Have to figure out a way to get it and make the wife think it came with the bike :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Steve, I have felt the pain of all the bending over for a long time. Sinjin offered me his HF lift today for all the rest of the work that needs to be done on his bike. So of coarse I jumped on it. I'm so jazzed I have a lift now that this bike may end up all polished and detailed just to say thank you. Can we say GRATEFUL! Yesterday I spent two hours working on a neighbors lawn mower. In the end it turned out he had filled the tank with water. Du#@.A**.! I hurt so bad after that I had to do the hot tub, Advil and rest. I see a bright future ahead now for my back now.

Larry, the pleasure is all mine!now you will be pain free working on mine and fellow's members bike!

Believe me Pullo, if I would have known he was taking that picture there would have been a T shirt. In fact, I may not have been in the picture in the first place! As you can see I'm not so photogenic.

Larry was too intoxicated to noticed me taking a pic! hahahaha

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
As you can see I'm not so photogenic.

Actually, considering we all know what kind of an upstanding guy you are, I think we'd (OK, well I know for sure me, but I'm sure there are others) agree that you are pretty photogenic. It's nice to see the guy who does such amazing work!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I popped for a motorcycle jack HF had on sale w/coupon for $79.99 and then added the $20 for a 2 year warranty. My low back will appreciate it I'm sure... I have herniated discs in my lower back.

My bandwidth wasn't enough for the clip to run fully through without stopping a few times and I had audio but not all the video I think...still, the bike sounded good.

Discovered some loose tank liner in my tank when I opened the cap over the weekend. Another of the PO's sins I'm afraid. That explains why the bike wasn't wanting to stay running.

So, the carbs and tank have to come off as well as a tear down of the petcock... UGH!

Congrats on the nice running bike sinjinle.

David

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I popped for a motorcycle jack HF had on sale w/coupon for $79.99 and then added the $20 for a 2 year warranty. My low back will appreciate it I'm sure... I have herniated discs in my lower back.

My bandwidth wasn't enough for the clip to run fully through without stopping a few times and I had audio but not all the video I think...still, the bike sounded good.

Discovered some loose tank liner in my tank when I opened the cap over the weekend. Another of the PO's sins I'm afraid. That explains why the bike wasn't wanting to stay running.

So, the carbs and tank have to come off as well as a tear down of the petcock... UGH!

Congrats on the nice running bike sinjinle.

David

The bike sound much better now with the HD Sporter's muffler! Waiting for new tires and headlight! cant wait to see it again and get it on the road.

My first thought when I bought the bike was to gut it out and turn it into a cafe racer. However, as Larry was working it..we realized how clean it is so I decided to keep her original. All I needs is the headlight and front turn signal. I'll post more pics and video once Larry is done with it.

Not only am I getting the bike done by Larry, I am also getting a lot of knowledge from him. My wife probably thinking I am having an affair, I am gone so much! hahahahaha

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
BIG congrats to Larry for joining the 20th Century a little late.

I had given up working on bikes until I built my lift. Once you start using it regularly, you'll be kicking yourself for not getting one much sooner.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have the HF moto lift that rolls around as well. It is at minimum a must for us who work on our bikes. I looked around on the 'net for platform style lifts and built 2.

One is made from 4 x 8 sheets of plywood that is cut and put together to build a platform to work on bikes. I cut it with a circular saw and wasn't paying close attention to tolerance and while it would work, I wasn't happy with the results. I then found a guy who built a ramp, that has one end attached to the wall in his garage, and after he rolls the bike on to the ramp, then lifts it with a car jack and props it up. That works much better for me, and the CB360 is sitting on it right now waiting for the engine rebuild to resume.

+1 on the Sportster mufflers. Riding yesterday (and thinking about Marshall) I am grinning about the sound of them vs. the stock cans. Nice mellow sound without a lot of noise. The price was right, too. I pulled into the garage last night coming home and my wife calls me after I turn her off. She was in the kitchen off of the garage and didn't know I was talking to her at the house. That made for some fun conversation!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.