Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to ride the Lake Superior Circle Tour in June with some friends, and I will be aboard my trusty 1979 CX500C. Because of the smaller Custom tank, my range is only about 100-125 miles. Am I going to run into running-out-of-fuel problems on this trip?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. Towns on the US side are about 25 miles apart. Up in Canada they get a little more apart but just keep an eye on the map and the odometer. I am always riding with guys that have that size gas tank and actually appreciate the opportunity to get off and stretch my legs as they fill up.

I've taken that trip twice in my motorcycling career. About 5 years ago and about 20 years ago. Not to anger our Canadian friends here but the best riding, IMO, is on the US side, especially the U.P. of Michigan. The road in Canada is primarily a major cross-country highway that is way too busy, traffic wise. The U.P has some fun state and county road options that take you up to the edge of the big lake. We had a great time at Paradise, Mich and the light house museum. US 61 in Minnesota is a major road but it has some great vistas of the Lake and lovely towns and state parks to stop at. In Wisconsin you will be primarily on US Hwy 2 but there also are some side-excursions north to the lake or south into great rides through the deep woods (affectionately called alphabet roads). Bayfield Wisc and the ferry across to Madeline Island is a good time.

The trip around the lake on main highways can happen really quickly. The side roads will eat up the days and need to be chosen according to how much time you have.

By the way, welcome. Where are you riding out of?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I say carry a small reserve just in case. At least a quart.

If you're with guys who have big tanks carry a length of fuel hose and a bottle to transfer gas just in case.

It's what 400 miles. So roughly 4 tanks of good riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with the U.S.A side being really interesting, or more interesting anyway. I used to live just off Hwy 61 near Schroeder, MN. I travelled around the lakes lots, for various reasons and found the MN, WI & MI really good fun at all times of the year, well maybe not high summer on Hwy 61 as it gets really busy, but there are some major interesting and picturesque spots on th MN lakeside. Also try the lakeside park in Marquette MI, can't remember its proper name but it is just outside of Marquette, which is really nice and has a load of good coffee stops and cafe's.

It must've changed a lot since I left, and I know there are more gas stations than there used to be! I would be interested to see any pics that you take too.

Have a fun trip whatever you do.

Regards

Brian

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I agree with the U.S.A side being really interesting, or more interesting anyway. I used to live just off Hwy 61 near Schroeder, MN. I travelled around the lakes lots, for various reasons and found the MN, WI & MI really good fun at all times of the year, well maybe not high summer on Hwy 61 as it gets really busy, but there are some major interesting and picturesque spots on th MN lakeside. Also try the lakeside park in Marquette MI, can't remember its proper name but it is just outside of Marquette, which is really nice and has a load of good coffee stops and cafe's.

It must've changed a lot since I left, and I know there are more gas stations than there used to be! I would be interested to see any pics that you take too.

Have a fun trip whatever you do.

Regards

Brian

I spent 9 years in Marquette. Lived there until almost 3 years ago. I'm from the Keweenaw bay Area. I'm trying to think of a lakeside park near Marquette. There use to be Tourist park on the north side of Marquette that had a really nice reservoir but the fuse plug went out up stream 30 miles and flooded the area leaving a river in a big ditch. Still a nice place to camp.

I think there are a few places in Autrain on the Lake shore. One think about Northern Michigan that I like is there is camping everywhere. Been to a lot of other areas and it was hard to find campgrounds or rustic sites.

If you camp in canada I stayed in the Lake Superior Provincial Park several times. There were more than enough places to camp off the beaten path. But I believe the registration station is near wawa.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Trans-Canada highway north of Lake Superior is the main E-W road and is busy during the summer. If a trip is planned to avoid the summer holidays when kids are out of school and families are travelling, the traffic is minimal. July and Aug are high volume. I rode out to Ontario and back a couple of summers ago during the last 2 weeks of June and except for big trucks, the road was nearly empty away from the few cities. No motorhomes or camping trailers, no strings of traffic and the provincial campgrounds were open but nearly deserted. The first couple of weeks of Sept would be the same. Carry your warmest gear and watch out for moose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everybody, for these good tips. We plan go to in early June. Most of us live in or near the Twin Cities, but we'll be gathering in Duluth to start out. I agree too about the UP and the northern WI alphabet roads. My sister and brother-in-law live in Washburn, WI (between Ashland and Bayfield), and there's some good riding to be had there. I've got until then to install my new tires, brakes, wheel bearings, and fork oil. It'll almost be like having a brand new bike again!

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,264 Posts
I've considered doing that ride. Like many things, though, it will have to wait until the kids are a little less dependent.

Something else I'd like to try sometime is the Iron Butt 1000, entirely within MN.

Have fun!

R

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've considered doing that ride. Like many things, though, it will have to wait until the kids are a little less dependent.

Something else I'd like to try sometime is the Iron Butt 1000, entirely within MN.

Have fun!

R

Bring extra camera batteries tommvinyl. You should have an excellent trip!

Ok Randall, what is the Iron Butt 1000?

·
Premium Member
12,264 Posts
Ok Randall, what is the Iron Butt 1000?
Sorry, that's the Saddle Sore 1000, administered by the Iron Butt Association. At least a couple folks on here have done it.

They have an award recognizing a Lake Superior circuit, too.

R

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sorry, that's the Saddle Sore 1000, administered by the Iron Butt Association. At least a couple folks on here have done it.

They have an award recognizing a Lake Superior circuit, too.

R

I would require a pretty big award to attempt to do that! A ribbon and a pat on the back wouldn't do it.

I'd need to get at least a cool big bronze belt buckle.

·
Premium Member
12,264 Posts
I would require a pretty big award to attempt to do that! A ribbon and a pat on the back wouldn't do it.

I'd need to get at least a cool big bronze belt buckle.
Well, it's certainly not done for the certificate. It's about the personal challenge.

R

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

Have fun!

R
Randall,

If you did this one there would be a lot of friendly faces there to support you if you had problems and you would get a license plate bracket for doing it.

July 29-31 Minnesota 1000 Minneapolis, MN

http://www.ironbutt.com/eventCal/

I know a couple of guys how have done it and they said it was always a good, well planned ride.

·
Premium Member
12,264 Posts
Randall,

If you did this one there would be a lot of friendly faces there to support you if you had problems and you would get a license plate bracket for doing it.

July 29-31 Minnesota 1000 Minneapolis, MN
That's interesting, and tempting.

One thing I don't quite agree with is their schedule. Rather than riding Saturday morning to Sunday morning, my plan would be to start in mid- to late-afternoon. That would have me riding during the daytime for more of the second half, when I'd be most tired. Having done the one day drive from Minnesota to Maryland many times, I know the difference the sunlight can make.

R

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
That's interesting, and tempting.

One thing I don't quite agree with is their schedule. Rather than riding Saturday morning to Sunday morning, my plan would be to start in mid- to late-afternoon. That would have me riding during the daytime for more of the second half, when I'd be most tired. Having done the one day drive from Minnesota to Maryland many times, I know the difference the sunlight can make.

R
Randall,

In case you don't know ... unless you sleep until mid-day you will be more tired the second day. Also, you should be able to sleep 4-6 hours and still get your 1000 miles in 24. Usually a 20 minute nap will get you through another 4-6 hours if you are worried, but carry a Screaming Meanie to wake you up.

http://www.the-perfect-present.com/Pages_SCRM/WAKE_ME_UP.html

You can get it from a lot of places other than the link above, including almost any truck stop.

Oh, yeah, on the loud setting you can hear it a quarter mile away.

·
Premium Member
12,264 Posts
Randall,

In case you don't know ... unless you sleep until mid-day you will be more tired the second day. Also, you should be able to sleep 4-6 hours and still get your 1000 miles in 24. Usually a 20 minute nap will get you through another 4-6 hours if you are worried, but carry a Screaming Meanie to wake you up.
I'd have no problem sleeping until mid-day. I'm the antithesis of a morning person. Besides, I'd most likely be up late prepping the night before.

R

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'd have no problem sleeping until mid-day. I'm the antithesis of a morning person. Besides, I'd most likely be up late prepping the night before.

R
Randall,

Sleep until noon???

Did you sell your kids?

Remember they are smarter now from eating cookies and will figure put how to wake you up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.