Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok another cafe raccer project. I'm amassing the info and parts for my winter project.

I'm interested in putting fork boots on the bike. I found some on ebay but I think I need 33m X 55m and I didn't see that size.

Also I'm debating between drag bars or clubman bars, I'm 6'3" and was wondering if the clubman would give better reach.

Thanks for any info!

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have never been comfortable with drag bars, not enough pull back. I feel clubman's would be the better choice giving you the longer reach you probably need given your height? Drag bars mount above the top triple clamp (closer) and Clubman's will put your grip below the top triple clamp (further) I bought a set of "M" bars available from Norman Hyde and patterned after the lastest Triumph Thruxton bars. So far I like them.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
54 Posts
yea, no drag bars. Not for a cafe esp. I don't think that'll be the look or feel you want.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Clubman bars sounds good. I found the seat I want at hotwingglass.com for $190 shipped and with the seat pad.
If you have an old tank and a welder, you can make your own custom seat. Its waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper and you can make it to overcome the dreaded hump in the frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have riden with both and the clubmans are a much better look for a cafe. Let me know if you need a set of clubmans I have two sets sitting around and I would be willing to sell both. I also have a set of drag bars if you want.

·
Registered
798 Posts
My plan is to use a headlight bucket off of a 68 (I think) cl175. It has the speedo built into the headlight. The cl77 had a similar setup aswell.

I would judge you too harshly if you stole my idea.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My plan is to use a headlight bucket off of a 68 (I think) cl175. It has the speedo built into the headlight. The cl77 had a similar setup aswell.

I would judge you too harshly if you stole my idea.
I like, I like!

If you are ever passing through central Kentucky and you should see my bike feel free to judge me how ever you please

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cool headlight!

Anybody watching the new TV show Cafe Racer? They are going to have a CX500 conversion next week.

brand new member here. just bought a 1978 cx500 and can't wait to see that next week. only problem is my 10year old daughter asked why they called dad's bike ugly ...... i said wait till they are done with it.

love the headlight

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[attachment=427:barn1.JPG]Yeah, ugly is a good discription. There again some times ugly is cool, that might explain why my wife married me.

I drug the bike into the barn with my other two winter projects. I'm having some work done on my shoulder next week so I need to drop that engine now to replace some leaking gaskets. Anything I should beware of prior to unbolting everything?

My other two projects '71 & '78 Mini 50's

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
brand new member here. just bought a 1978 cx500 and can't wait to see that next week. only problem is my 10year old daughter asked why they called dad's bike ugly ...... i said wait till they are done with it.

love the headlight

Hey. my 1978 CX 1/2 litre isn't fugly. it's cool. That ROC City headlight is also cool. Very nice and the extra room to stuff all the wiring would be nice too.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey. my 1978 CX 1/2 litre isn't fugly. it's cool. That ROC City headlight is also cool. Very nice and the extra room to stuff all the wiring would be nice too.

Cheers, 50gary

Your CX is damn sexy Gary, all your bikes are from what I've seen.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts