Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some light research, inspired by a recent post I'd read on here somewhere, I've decided to give it a go. I got a 2 oz tube of Krytox XHT-AC last week and plan to use it wherever grease is needed. I figured I'd be the guinea pig, I've got nothing better to do for the next week+ ;) ...plus I'm putting in new brakes, and getting new rubbers soon, and my alleged OCD is telling me that I should do this just so I can be positive that everything's on the up n' up.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

I've tried searching for drive shaft threads but haven't found much that goes into detail. So I guess I'll take lots of pictures along the way just so there's a fresh, easily discernible illustration for anyone that could use a lil guidance or maybe can't quite make out what the pictures are supposed to be showing in the FSM (mine is older than I am, not saying much, but being in black and white as well it makes things a lil confusing at times).

Anyone got any tips/tricks for me to keep in mind as I go along? This place is full of knowledge, and I'm a sponge, so I'm ready to soak it all up.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Expensive stuff, there is nothing on a Honda that needs that type of lube.
What would that be used for normally.??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Formula 1 cars, I think some (or all) NASCAR teams use it, its also used in industrial applications... machines with bearings that reach a high temperature range. Pretty cool stuff actually. Chemically inert, doesn't burn, and evaporation doesn't occur until you get over 575 degrees F so as long as its in a sealed system that was clean to begin with then you may never have to re-lube (unless you get into that temperature range). I figured it'd be something I could do to make my machine run smoothly, for as long as possible... considering I've got well over 50k on mine. Previous owner used it as a daily driver and so will I.

Here's a link with a lot of good info on it:
http://pages.chemours.com/Krytox_Overview.html?utm_source=google%20adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=krytox&utm_content=mro-landing&utm_campaign=16KRYTX138&gclid=Cj0KEQjwnKzABRDy2pb7nPSazdsBEiQAI4lZQCbkjH9D5TYwrc_Ptk0jxSvpLhn0-lwlKUWFOUpXf6QaAkIZ8P8HAQ

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely overkill... but that's how I like to roll ;)

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
It is indeed expensive grease and also far beyond the lubrication demands of the CX family.

I used it on wrist pin needle bearings in an oil-less industrial air compressor with a 10,000 hour service life. We later changed to a different design and dropped the expensive Krytox grease.

I can't imagine where this is a benefit on the CX.

Knock yourself out. Mind your wallet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts