Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know his question has been asked a million times, but I'm trying to get my head around it (I'm a totally newbie to bikes, wiring ET al).

I have a Pc06 '82 Cx500 eurosport with a TI ignition, I have replaced the old kill switch with a generic kill switch, starter light control combo I found online.

After much deliberation a friend and I managed to map (no wiring instructions included of course) and connect the new controls.

The kill switch works and shuts off / won't allow the bike to start if the switch is the wrong position. Is it dangerous or a problem to keep like this? If so any advice on how to resolve?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

·
Super Moderator
3,889 Posts
Are you saying that the kill switch works as expected or that the engine runs in the off position and stops in the run position?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying that the kill switch works as expected or that the engine runs in the off position and stops in the run position?
That the engine runs in the off position and stops in the run position.

·
Super Moderator
20,783 Posts
Your switch gear is for CDI or magneto ignition and works by grounding the spark.

Presumably you have wired 12 volt through it to work with your 12 volt coils so it works backwards.

This can be sorted with a relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, this is why I start to get a bit lost.... Is there any way to tell why it would be a vdi switch? To me it just looks like a simple two position switch.

I know this is going to be a total beginner question (part of the reason for buying my CX was to learn some basics....) what type of rely and where would this be fitted?

What is the danger of leaving it as it is? If it just a case of having a switch showing off when it should read on (and vice versa) then I don't really mind, however if this can cause a problem I want to fix it....

·
Super Moderator
20,783 Posts
There's no particular danger to how it currently is mechanically {or electrically} but the switch is designed to simply be knocked to kill the bike. When wired in reverse it won't function as intended as a safety device.

You can use the 'to ground' feature of this switch to switch relay power to make the switch function as intended.

The other option is to fit a CDI right switch gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cxphreak, so if I understand correctly, by adding a relay would effectively reverse the signal meaning that in my currently set up where off is on, on would come on? (I appreciate I'm [probably not explaining this very well). but I think I understand the concept.....

·
Super Moderator
14,060 Posts
Thanks, this is why I start to get a bit lost.... Is there any way to tell why it would be a vdi switch? To me it just looks like a simple two position switch.
There are a number of configurations that a "simple two position switch" can have. If, like most kill switches, it has only 2 connections it can be either Normally Open (NO) or Normally Closed(NC) type (see diagram below). As CXphreak explained, CDI or magneto ignition circuits use a NO switch (open in the Run position) to short the coils when you switch it to Off while TI or points ignitions usually use a NC switch (closed in the Run position) to interrupt the flow of current to the ignition circuit when you switch it to Off (similar to turning a light off).

·
Registered
398 Posts
A CDI ignition has a coil that puts out a voltage that causes the spark.to occur. To kill the engine the signal from this coil is shorted to ground by the kill switch and the engine dies.

A transistored ignation is connected to 12 volts to power a high voltage circuit. To kill the engine the 12 volts from the battery is removed and the engine stops.

Thus transistorised ignation breaks a wire to stop. a CDI shorts the input to ground to stop the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts