Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the Rez for gas and smokes yesterday, and stupid me, I took off with the kickstand down... Obviously the rubber foot thats supposed to lift the kickstand when it scrapes the road is too worn on my bike (that or the bike just sits too low with my 270lbs on it)...

I ended up running off the right side of the road, the bike laid down in the ditch, and I did a full flip over the top lol... I walked away with a bruised ego and not much else...

So I have a smashed headlight, bent gauge mounting bracket, bent headlight mounting arms, a broken rear left turn signal, and bent handlebars... I picked it up and rode it the 12 miles home, so I guess its not too bad... Thank god for the crash bars... At first I thought I actually twisted the forks somehow, but turns out its just the handlebars being bent... But unless I can find this stuff soon, no Amish Rally for me...

So check your kickstands for that nice helpful rubber foot... That or don't be forgetful like me and leave it down...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hope you find parts in time.

I might add to check em too. Over time the kickstand pivot point wears away. Take it off, clean it up, and lube it for Pete's sake. Replace your spring if it doesn't spring too.

Michael

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Always lube it and make sure it snaps back. After that everything is in your hands. Just make a mind trick of it. Bike on, kickstand up, Shifter down and go. At one point I was just short of removing it since I forgot it so much. I never forget the centerstand.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I never knew that there was a safety device to make the kickstand go up in the event that it was down while in motion. I know that I have taken off several times like this and the stand would always end up hitting the road and go straight up into correct position. Glad that you are OK Fat Rhino. That sounded like a TERRIBLE wreck and we do not want another biker down.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Glad you're ok.  Some fancy pants bikes won't let you go until the side stand is up.  I almost always use my center stand, and it's become a habit: push forward off center, flip side, go.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Early 80's I believe it was yamaha that got sued over this very issue. From that point on, as I understand it, you can not engage 1st gear with your kickstand down on the Yamaha bikes. Other manufactures followed the lead - even Honda. My '09 starts on the kick stand, but if I engage the transmission with the stand still down, the engine cuts out. It's not much, and most will say "just another b.s. safety feature we don't need"... but the pictures above suggest - it'll save somebody some money and/or body parts. Happy you weren't hurt more than your pride.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have know the kick stand switches to cause the engine to intermittently cut out while riding.

Even caused a few accidents while in corners.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Didn't some of the CX models have a warning buzzer of sorts?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Didn't some of the CX models have a warning buzzer of sorts?

I don't think so but I bet it wouldn't be that hard to make one. It would probably have to be similar to the rear brake lever switch as it can be adjusted and would be dead with the kickstand up. Unlike the other way where a bump that bounces the stand would cause it to beep.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My buddy has a bike that dies when you put it in fist with the kickstand down. It was great watching him trying to figure out why his bike kept shutting off. There is a corner around where I live that someone died on. Caught the kick stand and put it down. Slid into a tree. Glad you okay

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'll swear one model had something oddball on it and I don't mean the burnt out brake light bulb circuit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bummer on flipping the bike - glad you were okay!

I don't think so but I bet it wouldn't be that hard to make one. It would probably have to be similar to the rear brake lever switch as it can be adjusted and would be dead with the kickstand up. Unlike the other way where a bump that bounces the stand would cause it to beep.

Yeah. you could even wire it into the neutral circuit, so that it wouldn't beep until the neutral light went off. Or. perhaps the easier option, just scavenge a kickstand switch off a model that uses one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the concern guys.... A guy at work I talked to showed me that exact kickstand "killswitch" on his bike yesterday... pretty good idea...

So does anyone have a set of stock handlebars or a headlamp?

·
Registered
94 Posts
So I went to the Rez for gas and smokes yesterday, and stupid me, I took off with the kickstand down... Obviously the rubber foot thats supposed to lift the kickstand when it scrapes the road is too worn on my bike (that or the bike just sits too low with my 270lbs on it)...

I ended up running off the right side of the road, the bike laid down in the ditch, and I did a full flip over the top lol... I walked away with a bruised ego and not much else...

So I have a smashed headlight, bent gauge mounting bracket, bent headlight mounting arms, a broken rear left turn signal, and bent handlebars... I picked it up and rode it the 12 miles home, so I guess its not too bad... Thank god for the crash bars... At first I thought I actually twisted the forks somehow, but turns out its just the handlebars being bent... But unless I can find this stuff soon, no Amish Rally for me...

So check your kickstands for that nice helpful rubber foot... That or don't be forgetful like me and leave it down...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feel your pain ... in 74 i was working for a yamaha HD dealer... took an rd250 out for a test and stopped to do a plug color check ( the owner was complaining about no topend)... I took off with the stand down.. downhill into this sweeping turn at 100mph...off the road i went!!... tall grass saved my ass... i dont remember the crash, but i woke up with out anything seriously busted... i got married 2 days later, on crutches.... i never forget the side stand!! Live and learn i guess

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a set of bars, not stock though. They were on my 78 CX500 when I bought it. They are shorter (height-wise) than yours. You can have them if you want. I am not all that far from you. I work in Rochester, so if you wanted to meet up some day next week, I could bring them along. They would get you by for now anyway.

P.S. I could probably get them to Spencerport for you early next week (Mon or Tues).

·
Registered
837 Posts
So that's what the rubber footer is for! Yes I'll admit I've driven off a couple of times with it down and it has sprung up (to my surprise, "What the h--l was that noise?"...but now I'll ensure the condition of that rubber piece is nothing less than perfect. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I do that all the time! I've been lucky so far. Thanks for sharing though, now I will never forget to double check before I take off!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a set of bars, not stock though. They were on my 78 CX500 when I bought it. They are shorter (height-wise) than yours. You can have them if you want. I am not all that far from you. I work in Rochester, so if you wanted to meet up some day next week, I could bring them along. They would get you by for now anyway.

P.S. I could probably get them to Spencerport for you early next week (Mon or Tues).

PM sent

·
Registered
377 Posts
Glad you're ok.  Some fancy pants bikes won't let you go until the side stand is up.  I almost always use my center stand, and it's become a habit: push forward off center, flip side, go.

Actually, I wonder if some kickstands are bent b/c of this. If I take the bike off the center stand with the kickstand down, it hits the ground... sometimes hard!

Sorry about your accident - I'm glad you are OK. If you haven't found one, I have a head light bucket you could have real cheap, its in pretty decent shape.

Email me if you are interested.

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts