Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a decent kick start conversion kit compatible with an '82 CX500?

Anyone ever used one on their own bike? Thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
it is really hard to kick a V-twin, and with the torque of these engines i would be worried that if it kicked back i would lose my leg. if you were going to engineer a kick starter conversion how would you do it? where would you put it? would you try to keep the electric start too?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is really hard to kick a V-twin, and with the torque of these engines i would be worried that if it kicked back i would lose my leg. if you were going to engineer a kick starter conversion how would you do it? where would you put it? would you try to keep the electric start too?

Aren't shovels, pans, and knuckles all v-twins too? They have kicks on them. And I am not super handy yet working on bikes which is why I was asking about kits, but if I did find one I would probably drop the electric start. My CX is not my primary ride and I am looking to bob it. So I am checking out what options I have available.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Aren't shovels, pans, and knuckles all v-twins too? They have kicks on them. And I am not super handy yet working on bikes which is why I was asking about kits, but if I did find one I would probably drop the electric start. My CX is not my primary ride and I am looking to bob it. So I am checking out what options I have available.
The motor is mounted completely differently than most bikes. I would think a kick -start conversion would be pretty hard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well if your going to design one, you might want to look at an old BMW.

I remember Test riding a used 1957 BMW, the one with the knee action fork and it was kick start.

It kicked over pretty easy, and I only weighted about 120 lbs at that time.

Dang that was a sweet ride!

Had a lever at a right angle to the case parralel to the cylinders on the left side of the engine.

Seems to me like it enguaged the flywheel?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Well in that case you would want to put it on the left side in the starters area. It would probably have to have several gears so you can kick it in the right direction. But if that's what you want to do then go for it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My 1976 Honda Goldwing has an auxiliary kick start pedal stored next to the fake gas tank. It plugs into a socket in the back of the engine and that's how those bikes were supplied from the factory.

One method to retrofit a kick start might be to use the 17mm hex on the front of the crankshaft and some sort of ratcheting mechanism.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My 1976 Honda Goldwing has an auxiliary kick start pedal stored next to the fake gas tank. It plugs into a socket in the back of the engine and that's how those bikes were supplied from the factory.

One method to retrofit a kick start might be to use the 17mm hex on the front of the crankshaft and some sort of ratcheting mechanism.

Dash, funny the timing of all this....I was just reading a Craig's list ad the other day that said the '75 & '76 Goldwings had kick as well as electric start and I thought "huh, I've never seen that"......thanks for answering my ponderence on the issue !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.