Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new key blank for my GL500, and bikebandit lists two types for my bike, type one and type two. Are they both the same and will either fit or do I need one or the other? If so, which one? (Search isn't coming up with anything for keywords: key blank, type one, type two)

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
You must get the RIGHT one, as they will not fit each others locks. If you HAVE a key you want to duplicate its easy to tell. One key has the indented cut going down the right side, the other has it on the left side. If you have the key you will be able to see it and pick the right one in seconds. If you dont have the key you will need to look at the lock to see.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Chances are that most sites that sell the keys will have pictures to make sure you get the RIGHT ONES. I got mine on Ebay and they were not expensive (about $5.00), only problem is I got two sets of each as I lost mine and had to replace both the ignition switch (one type) and the gas cap lock (the other type). I would say your best bet is to stick with a place that will show you pictures of the two types (some places only sell via part number which makes it hard.)

Here is one site, did an Ebay search for "cx500 key"

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1981-1982-1983-Honda-CX500-CX650-CX-500-650-Key-Blank-/290594393237?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a8c68c95

·
Registered
848 Posts
Are you trying to get an oem style key for originality? If not, why not just get some copies made at your local locksmith?

One of my local hardware stores even had correct key blanks. Work fine but all steel so they don't look like the originals with the black rubber caps.

I don't think I paid more than $6 to have 3 duplicates made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.