Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure I cant leave well enough alone but this past week I had Kilroy make me a good key for my bike. Pretty good price at $6. Well I got it today and I was looking at it and thinking I don't really need another big headed object so I broke out the dremel and gave it a trim.

I wonder why the key heads are so small or large. I must have 4 different types of keys

·
Registered
511 Posts
I prefer the smaller head key as well. Rather than using a split ring on my keys I just use a short piece of shoelace. It's easy to find when pulling out of the pocket and it doesn't vibrate, rattle or scratch the paint.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ha, a shoelace. That's brilliant ! Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ditto. I'm looking for my sons shoes right now. He can spare a little bit of his shoe lace. he he

·
Registered
860 Posts
This type of key fob also works well in preventing scratches around the switch if you are carrying more than one key. A variation of it, also made out of one piece of leather, has screw/rivet fasteners for the key holes at both ends, is open on one side with a snap fastened folded over piece like an letter envelope. Not too tough to make if you have the special screw/rivet type of fastener.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,746 Posts
I have a little strap that holds a D ring on my belt. Each key or group of keys is on a clip that is clipped onto the D ring. That way they don't wear holes in my pockets.

BTW: The ignition switch that's on my 650 came on the Nighthawk. I had a (slightly modified)GL1200 rack on the back of the Nighthawk so I had to modify the key so that it would clear the rack when it was in the lock for the seat. The head of the key is now triangular and about 5/8" wide at the end with the hole. It is sometimes a bit awkward to turn it when I have my winter mitts on, but I'm too cheap to get another one cut (the original is hanging up in the basement with the other originals of keys).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts