Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 'new' CX500 turbo only came with one key and the number is rubbed off.

I have read that the key code is somewhere on the ignition switch barrel? My switch is proving hard to get off but I did notice a 6 digit number on the petrol cap lock on the underside.

Does anyone know if this is also a key code?

Until I strip the whole bike I dont want to push my luck with the ignition switch removal. Is there anywhere else the key code can be found?

My key fits all the lock on the bike.

·
Registered
360 Posts
On the underside of the cap there should be a stamped number. That is the key code.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
1981 CBX - Nowhere near stock, 1982 CX500T
16 Posts
EVERY Honda lock has the code stamped on it somewhere. Take the lock off of the bike to any respectable locksmith and they can cut you a key.
FYI, aftermarket key blanks are usually a little thinner that the OG Honda blanks.
I've found that the slightly thicker Honda blanks work smoother in the locks.
Still available:
35121-KW3-771 (Type 1) (most common)
35122-KW3-771 (Type 2)
(depends on the "zig-zag" which one you need)

·
Registered
1981 CBX - Nowhere near stock, 1982 CX500T
16 Posts
if you have a working key why would you need the code? Im confused
No. They can duplicate/cut you a new key from the original, just like any other key.
Another tip: Everyone should record their key codes in the bike file (you do have a file on each bike, right?) so, just in case you lose your keys, a locksmith can cut you a new one or buy one from the guys that sell spare keys
Also, the dealer that I worked for, each bike came with 4 keys. He would keep 2 and give you 2. Then, if you wanted a spare, he's sell you a pre-cut key (was your's) with the correct number on it for $5.
Any way to make a buck!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Worth mentioning many locksmith's (suppliers) sell blanks for a miniscule $ especially for 5to10 pc...i bought silca blanks-Honda 31R for less than a dollar each (USA 60cents)...thats what a few o' my bikes use....
I do note the comments at post 4....but the silca ones are good spares....

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,458 Posts
I just ordered 10 blanks from this site:
It's the best US price I could find online. Standard shipping was $6.95.
My local hardware store didn't have the right blank last time I went for a duplicate. Now, I can bring my own, and just pay for cutting.

Reactions: richnct

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
FWIW-The HD74(ilco) and Hon31R(silca) are the same....just different manufacturers

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
The profile of the HON31s I find on eBay are notched on the wrong side.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
That distinction appears not to be made in this market.
All of the duplicates in my collection of keys use the Ilco HD74 blank. All of my web searches for "Silca" return "Ilco."

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
As per DSS....Honda OEM Type 1 key is code begining with A or B...(R indent)...when looking at key with key-top uppermost
Type 2 key is begining with C or D letters.
The indent/grooves/notch are opposite sides...

(For the Cx500s)

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.

I have found a site in the UK that I think can help.

Time to get multiple sets squirreled away!!

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
I've used this guy on eBay.
Good service and fast turn-around.

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I can confirm the key code on the underside of the petrol cap is good and that the source I found in the UK can make the correct keys!!

All good :D

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,745 Posts
No. They can duplicate/cut you a new key from the original, just like any other key.
But depending on how worn the key is you may be better off having one cut to the code instead of duplicating the worn one.

Another tip: Everyone should record their key codes in the bike file (you do have a file on each bike, right?) so, just in case you lose your keys, a locksmith can cut you a new one or buy one from the guys that sell spare keys
Neither of mine have the original keyswitches. The one on the GoldWing is keyed to match the original locks so writing the code down might be useful. The keyswitch and fuel cap on Eccles are from an aftermarket set for a CMX250 and I don't think they have a code.
BUT I do one better: I have a cabinet in the basement shop that has the original spare keys for both as well as unused copies of the house key and other keys that we may need to duplicate if someone loses one.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Most of the keys I have bikes and loose key switches, luggage locks, etc. are duplicates. I recently bought a set of numeral punches so I can mark each with its code.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts