Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as my username would suggest I am new at this. Not just at becoming a member of a forum and posting things but all this wrenching. I recently purchased a 1978 Honda CX500 which the past owner never had running. But I was hopeful after I saw it was not all rusted and all the rubber boots were not all dried up and cracked from the sun. I had a friend who knows things abotu bikes help determine that the engine is not seized up and we tested for spark on both cylinders, which was present in both. I am goign to eventually check compression and all of that but I have never wrench on anything so I am learning technical terms and how to be a guy as I go.

I got the service manual with the bike and decided to start with taking the carbs apart to clean them up. They are the Keihin brand and the numbers engraved on the side are "26AQC7" , though between the A and Q there is an "A" in a box. I am looking to see if anyone would happen to have an extra, what I would consider a needle valve spring. I found one in the first carb but none in the second carb. I just don't feel like having to buy a who carb rebuild kit for one lonely spring. Please let me know if you can assit me. I will post picts of the new cherry once I get some so it can be open for ideas. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know now that I should be taking picts of this stuff and haven't yet so I appologize. I know that the spring I need comes in a carb rebuild kit but that is anywhere from $23-$30 and I just thought that was a lot for a spring when that is the only part I need. I will take a picture but if I was to explain it here, it you are looking at the bottom of the carb where the float bowl is, you would not have to remove the float bowl but there is a screw in jet just above or to the front of the float bowl. When removed it to me in my limited wisdom looks like a needle valve of sorts and there is a small spring in that hole. It is about 1 inch long and a little smaller around than a pencil. Oh and by the way I live in Duluth, MN. Thanks for the replys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.