Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered new stuff!

Ordered new tires, clutch kit, new clutch springs and an ignitech (thanks to Cobram!)
Ignitech should be coming today, tires and clutch kit should be here by the 20th, and the springs by Oct. 8, kind of a bummer was hopin to do the clutch all at once ASAP. Looks like ASAP will be almost a month away. But my bike should be back up and running later today with the ignitech!

Any suggestions on tire mounting?

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
If you carry the wheels somewhere to have them mounted, be sure they know that the drive is on the right side. Many shaft-drive bikes have the drive on the left, so the tires are sometimes mounted backward. Check the direction of rotation when you pick them up.

R

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If you carry the wheels somewhere to have them mounted, be sure they know that the drive is on the right side. Many shaft-drive bikes have the drive on the left, so the tires are sometimes mounted backward. Check the direction of rotation when you pick them up.

R

Randall - why DOES it matter which way the tires rotate? I know that when radial tires came out, tire rotation on cars changed from "X", to front-to-back. Sometime after, tire manufacturers decided that it didn't really matter, and tires started rotating in an "X" pattern again.

Why does it matter on motorcycles? There must be something about motorcycle tire construction that I don't understand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be that it is made to rotate one way and wear differently than if it is rotating the opposite may break down the materials faster leading to faster wear. Not sure but it sounds good enough to me!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Pretty sure it has something with the way the tire squishes liquids away from the contact patch.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The grooves need to oriented to channel water away from the contact patch, rather than in toward the middle.

R

Alright - that makes sense. Pushing water toward the center of the tire would cause it to hydroplane. DUHH! ;)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Further than that, front tires are designed for braking load, rear tires are designed for acceleration load, and are belted (especially bias ply tires) to support those forces.
Reversing the direction, not a particularly good idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted you all to know I tried to edit the title to say JUST not JUT but it didn't work. I know how to spell just not proof read. Haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts