Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OOK here you go the green arrow points to things i have questions about!

The other cable connection isthe main throttle

This is the connection at the carburetor

Thats where it was when i took it off (Blurry sorry)

Thats where its supposed to go

Sooo What Does it do? And Do i really need it? When i hook it up my throttle wont return. but when its not hooked up my throttle is perfect ?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
The throttles on these bikes us TWO cables, one pulls while one releases. Now that you have it hooked into the carb, you need to put the cable part back in the holder

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
^^ what he said. You might check the spring load on that throttle to make sure it is working right, it should be a smooth push/pull in all conditions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just took the thing off and my bike is running justfine, will that hurt me at all? ALSO Is the Bowl Drain screw/Drain on the LEFT side ALSO the Overflow valve? when i have my screw all the way in (Tightened) it still drips a little bit, should i cap it? Also my bike started for about 3 seconds after i redid the carburetor just wondering what do do here with the valve screw?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dont need it if everything is in order return spring on carbs does the job although someome on here with no brain will say you cant remove its not original you can junk 50% on a cx and it still works its just a motorcycle not a classic as some will tell you.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
You dont have to use a return cable

I havent used one on any any of my CX's

and had no problems.

the rationale behind it is if the opening cable break and jams

harder than the return spring can handle

then the return cable can be used to shut off the throttle

theoretically anyway

I figure if yer that worried its better not to get on a bike

at all, cos god knows theres dangers enough without worriting over

obscure ones

Some folk call em 'push' cables but thats a misnomer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea i figured it was just some of hondas "State of the art" stuff for back then. But that over flow drain is killing me do you know anything about that?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
All I generally do to carbs is utter threats so

they dont play up and I dont poke about with their innards

the drain screw is just that

Overflow isnt affected by the screw in the side

so if you have fuel coming out the drain hole

then its either a non sealing float valve or split overflow tube

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Dont need it if everything is in order return spring on carbs does the job although someome on here with no brain will say you cant remove its not original you can junk 50% on a cx and it still works its just a motorcycle not a classic as some will tell you.

What a way to word things....

So then what you're saying is, is that because it's NOT a classic then you don't need a return cable but if it WERE a classic then you'd want to have one that works right ?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I beg to differ. These bikes are classics and they have a classic way of producing a good platform for any poorboy or backwoods mechanic that wants a bike that can fulfill their every dream.

With all the stock, cafe, streetfighters, bobbers, choppers, trikes, land speed record setters, and experimentals I have seen you can't say the bike isn't classic.

With that being said you can remove 50% or add 150% but don't be stupid about it. If you're going to remove the second cable hose the carb spring down with a good lubricant at least twice a year and don't wory.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Well said Don but I don't want them to be,"Classics" only taken out to meetings and molly coddled.They are still a fine working machine well over a quarter of a century on.I've said it before and I'll say it again and again it's a testament to Honda's engineering and design that so many are still in good regular service and the parts are still around and they are pretty easy to work on and fix.

Shhhhhh......Let's keep em secret

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am sorry but you take the cx to seriously on here and pamper your bikes just to sit in the garage and make small talk about all the work you do.Your aspirations for the cx being a classic are simply beyond belief to put the cx in the realms of classics such as brough superior or vincents is laughable and shows your complete ignorance.The cx maggot only sold well in the uk in the 80s because despatch riders like me and many others needed a nononse bike to do thousands of miles a week with little or no maintenance time was money.It just so happend that the maggot came along at the right time for the job when you have ridden 100,000 plus miles a year for five years you can start telling me about the maggot which is what we subjected the bike to in the 80s.And as for all this electric fan crap what a load of bull we never had overheating problems driving in london traffic all day 5 days a week if the reason for replacement is for the age of the parts now you can still buy new ones ,and as for ease of getting to the front engine case what a waste of time if it only comes off after about 50,000 plus miles.I have worked with riders who never changed the oil for months at a time if they were worried about the slightest rattle they would never get any work done we had a rider ride with a car battery in his top box for six months because he couldnt be bothered to take the engine out. The reality check is that the cx was overweight ,shit brakes,pig ugly ,took a expert rider to handle it through fast traffic as was known in our circles as the widow maker ,so if your still calling it a classic then you must have owned some rubbish motorcycles in my list of nearly a 100 plus motorcycles i have owned and ridden prob more miles than anyone on here it might just get in the top 50 ,but as a work tool to abuse crash and run into the ground it was one of the best courier hacks ever and thats all it was and will ever be .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.