Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took the bike on a successful trip yesterdcay. not far, just around the block becuase its not licensed yet but i see the need to synchronize the carbs. my questions are these

1. do i hook up the vacuum hoses to those screws on the intake runner just before the cylinder?

2. to adjust the vacuum do i adjust the air/fuel screw on the individual carb?

also, as far as i've been informed the liquid level(i'm making a liquid level manometer) should be even side to side meaning both sides are pulling equal vacuum. is this correct?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
1) yes the vacuum ports for balancing are blocked by those two screws.

2) No, balancing carbs is getting the throttle valves opened equally so that the vacuum is the same from each carb.

You need to download the service manual and find the correct procedure for your bike. There is a rod going from the L to R that rotates when the throttle is actuated. There will be a screw and lock nut where the L and R sides of the rod join. The adjustment needed is very small. The adjustment is to the R carb. It needs to be adjusted to give the same vacuum as the L. Recheck after tightening the lock nut as the setting is likely to change with tightening.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Follow the advice above. Here's a picture of the adjustment screw he's referring to. This picture is of a CX500 set. But the GL500 is in the same place.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got it. i ended up making a manometer for about 6 bucks. it was way easier then i thought it would be. now i just hope it works the way its supposed to. instead of food colored water i used fruit punch gatorade because i didn't have any food coloring. i can at least see the liquid in the tube which is the point of the coloring. i'll let everyone know how the synching goes when i do it hopefully tomorrow

·
Registered
835 Posts
On the cheap manometers, it's important to put a restrictor (a pinch valve of some type or other) into the line from the carbs. I've heard stories of the liquid just being sucked right up into the carbs as soon as the engine was started. Cut off the 'flow' until the engine is running, then open it slowly so you can see the levels in the tubes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i also used gatorade because of the way i had to get the fluid into the tube. i put one end into the bottle and sucked through the other side. atf would have left a bad aftertaste. thats a good idea for the shut off valves i'll add them.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
In addition to getting nasty stuff in your engine, liquids like Gatorade, colored water or ATF are so thin they're going to be bouncing around as the intake valves open an close. I'd use some sort of motor oil - same results, same safety but at least a more damped response. Unfortunately as with all these "tube types" they can end up being messy and sometimes a lengthy setup.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm excited to try this. the hoses are 12' long and they are far enough away from the engine to where an vibration shouldn't effect the fluid. i guess theres only one way to know for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.