Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning the bike yesterday and noticed sludge coming out of the right side cylinder weep hole. Is this a head gasket leak? My oil looks fine, should I take the valve cover off and look? What am I looking for?

·
Super Moderator
20,310 Posts
Centre valve cover gasket ring leak. It comes out of the plug well there.

Easy fix is to remove the cover. Take the centre ring out of the cover and thoroughly clean both ring and valve cover groove.

Lay a bead of adhesive silicon {bostik and loctite both make good ones} in the groove a lightly seat the ring.

Place on sheet of glass and press down.

Leave overnight and refit the next day.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, makes me feel better knowing it’s just the gasket. I was thinking of doing the valve clearances anyway so might as well do this. If I wanted to replace the gaskets where’s the best place to buy?

·
Registered
6,334 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out the leak was my fault. When I last replaced the spark plugs I must have forgotten to tighten one, or else it worked itself loose. Either way it was barely finger tight and the cylinder head smelled of gas. Just to be safe I changed the oil.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking more about this, any chance I harmed anything? I cleaned the plug but the top of my cylinder that I could see through the plug hole looked pretty bad but maybe that’s normal?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The leaking valve cover gasket would not harm anything within the engine.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The loose spark plug was also apparently causing my high idle issue. Went for a ride today and idle rpm was back to normal and stayed the same after heating up. Im guessing my mpg will go up a bit as well now that I’m not losing gas and oil through the plug. Pay attention to your bike, it’ll tell you when it’s sick!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts