Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to do some work on my bike, and found that I have a small pin hole in the tank. It ruined the paint on the lower left of the tank and ran down the side cover and ruined the paint on it. Granted, the paint job i had was far from good (had to go with decent rattle can job because I ran out of money fixing my bike and buying BlackWing's bike), but I still had everything almost finished. Is there anything I can do to stop the leak from the outside - just until I get ready to tear it down again in the winter to get a good paint job?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
You could try working some JB weld in there then after it sets up give it a touch up if you have any of the paint left. Have the tank empty and dry, and clean the area very well before applying the JB.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That's a real drag... I would bite the bullet, pull the tank, and have it welded. Reason I suggest this is that this pinhole may be the first sign of some bad deterioration in there. Nothing worse than a fire... and I can attest that gasoline soaked jeans don't feel too good real quick...

At least give it a good inspection

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I got the tank, I looked as far down into it as possible, and it looked very shiny and clean - no rust could be seen at all. I was just wondering (might sound crazy), but since it is at the very bottom of the tank on the lower left side, would it be possible/advisable to direct quite a bit of tank sealent (with a tube) into that area by hanging the tank at an angle and filling that corner of the tank until it reaches that hole? Basically it would fill that lower corner only? Like I said, it may sound crazy!

·
Registered
816 Posts
JB Weld gets soft when exposed to gasoline. I know this because I used it to repair the filter screen on the petcock. Ended up removing it all and just using a inline fuel filter instead.

If it's a small pin hole, you could have it braze soldered with brass to seal it up, and repaint. Check with a radiator shop to see what they would offer. Welding shop can do it, too.

Tanks will need to be empty and washed out to remove any lingering fumes, obviously.

Also the sealer may work from the inside. Worth a try.

I once stepped inside of a welder's shop in Iowa. His latest project was welding on a gasoline delivery truck. Guy knew what he was doing!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I had a hole in mine last year the size of a pin head. As a precautionary measure I bought tank sealer (I used Caswells and so far have had fantastic results!)- and while going through the steps for sealing prep, I filled the tank with water, popped the cap on it, put the full of water tank upside down on a towel (so as to not get any scratches) and the boyfriend welded the hole. It was nothing long or drawn out- and to do everything as far as sealing/ fixing the hole- you could get it done easily during one of these crappy weekends.

Like I said, it was easy and in the end, I'm glad we did it!

~MK

·
Registered
816 Posts
In another post on the board about cracked carb boots, a link to an older post by Shep mentions Shoe Goo as his go to for sealing "pinholes in gas tanks". Another idea!

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
JB Weld gets soft when exposed to gasoline. I know this because I used it to repair the filter screen on the petcock. Ended up removing it all and just using a inline fuel filter instead.

Thanks, Brian, I did not know that.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
In another post on the board about cracked carb boots, a link to an older post by Shep mentions Shoe Goo as his go to for sealing "pinholes in gas tanks". Another idea!

Yes I did but it's only a temp fix.I put some of that on and then mixed a little Fibreglass/Polyester resin and painted it on top.It lasted about a month before it started to blister but time enough to paint another tank

·
Registered
816 Posts
Or maybe not.

Funny!
He had a Quonset hut building he used behind his personal house for his welding business.

We were two guys, stuck on the side of the road with a broken trailer hitch. An older gent who just had had a heart attack 4 weeks earlier stopped by to see what was wrong. He wanted to help, but with his ticker problem, he didn't think it to be wise. The next guy to pull up to see what the 3 of us were looking at was our friend the welder. He sees we have a broken tongue next to the trailer hitch, just as the older guy says, "Say Jim, you own a welding shop, do you think you can help these guys out?"

Sure he says, and as luck would have it, we are withing 500 feet of his building! We drag the trailer behind the van, helped by the safety chains and get it close enough for "Jim" to bring out the cables from the stick welder (something like 50 feet of cable) to quickly run a couple of beads and do a way better job of welding than the original builder of this home built trailer we had been using for the past week. He reached inside of an old refrigerator where he kept a HUGE assortment of welding rods.

We couldn't pull in the hut because...there was gasoline truck in it waiting to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Try this?

LOL Stubby!!!! You must have posted 10 seconds before I did

Unfortunatly, a pin hole outside of the tank means you have an area around that hole where the metal is thin. No telling how long it will be before a new pin hole shows up.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Seal-All is an awesome product, but I am a fan of filler metal, and having the hole corrected the proper way by someone good with a TIG welder. I had a friend that lost a Hurricane becuase of a leaky tank. watched it burn, and by the time the fire dept arrived there was nothing really left other than the carcass and some smoldering bits.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info on Seal All. What I think I am going to try this weekend is to clean the area around the pinhole down to bear metal, open up the whole a little more, dent the tank in a little at that area, solder up the hole, and then fill in the dent with the Seal All. That way, it plugs the hole and then covers it with another fuel resistant layer. Feather it all out with body filler and then prime and repaint. It is worth a try! I can't afford to spend any more money right now.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What a pain. Goood luck with your repair. I recall using something like Seal All on an metal snowmobile tank. It never leaked again. I kept it 4 or 5 years after the repair. As the others have said I'd watch it close though as 1 pin hole could turn to more. I too would be leery of gas dripping between my knees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.