Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after riding on mostly 55mph roads I was tired of feeling like I was being pushed off the bike all the time. I ride about 45 min to work and when I get there I'm pooped:)

So I decided to spring for a windscreen. Bought this off ebay

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190505681217&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Ordered it yesterday and it arrived today. Put it on in about twenty minutes.

What a difference! Finally sweet relief! So nice to be able to ride without the wind in my chest!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was also considering one of these windshields. Does it have the 2 or 4 point attachment to the bike? I guess my concern was the 2 point, being attached well enough so it doesn't move. How is it after riding some miles?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes 2 point system. Seems to work great so far! Instructions say to pin it against the headlight for rigidity. So I did:)

I dont go over 65mph so I can only vouch for thay speed and under.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Right, it just wasn't worth what I paid, I think mine was around $80 or something like that, but I was stupid enough to go to a used Harley shop and have them get it for me, but usually they gave me decent prices it seemed, but I no longer go there, they treated me like shit once, and they know me by name I've been there so much, so I tell everyone to avoid the place...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have one if anyone is interested --$50. When I switched to the Daytona bars I had to ditch the windshield. I will post pics if I get any takers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought this same windshield not too long ago. Gotta say I really like it compared to no windshield at all, especially for the money. Mine rests against the fairing on my '78 and stays put at 70-75mph with just the two mounting points.

It has come in handy to hide behind since the lovebugs are swarming like mad the past couple weeks. Disgusting little bugs, very acidic innards and will damage paint in nothing flat.

I did the opposite of perrysburg and ditched the Daytona or whatever bars they were so I could install the windshield. The LTD bars are more to my liking, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My wife has the same windshield on her 81. She had it on most of last season with no problems. I've checked it several times and have never had to make any adjustments. She really likes it, but I like my fairing better.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My wife has the same windshield on her 81. She had it on most of last season with no problems. I've checked it several times and have never had to make any adjustments. She really likes it, but I like my fairing better.
If she wants a fairing let me know

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I bought this same windshield not too long ago. Gotta say I really like it compared to no windshield at all, especially for the money. Mine rests against the fairing on my '78 and stays put at 70-75mph with just the two mounting points.

It has come in handy to hide behind since the lovebugs are swarming like mad the past couple weeks. Disgusting little bugs, very acidic innards and will damage paint in nothing flat.

I did the opposite of perrysburg and ditched the Daytona or whatever bars they were so I could install the windshield. The LTD bars are more to my liking, but that's just me.

That little "spitfire" windshield was on my bike when I got it.....it's been hanging in my garage for 3 years now...I agree, it did NOTHING for me, of course I'm 6'1" tall so maybe for a shorter person it might help a tad.

I agree with you on the bug guts....that's why I wipe them off my bike after each ride....I carry a mini spray bottle of water with me at all times to clean the helmet during longer rides.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After riding today in between the rain I was able to really put the wind shield through its paces... stays put at 70mph no problem. Keeps the wind off my chest which is yi bought it.

I'm 6ft and the only thing I notice is a little extra wind on my helmet

But other than thati love it

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have one if anyone is interested --$50. When I switched to the Daytona bars I had to ditch the windshield. I will post pics if I get any takers.

So are Daytona-style bars completely incompatible with a front windshield? I want both!

I imagine there is a way, does anyone have a bike with both? Photos?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
It depends on the windshield.

I have daytonaesque handlebars at the moment to clear my bigger tank but previously I had daytona bars and used a national cycle plexistar 2.

My brother has daytona bar and uses a Memphis Shades windshield.

My bike outside of Hell.

My brother bike leaving wisconsin.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I had a similar windshield on my VLX600 last year. 10,000 miles, and some at 80 miles an hour. Shield held up very well. Never had the impression it was going to loose it. Offered good wind protection and helped immensely in rain.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It depends on the windshield.

I have daytonaesque handlebars at the moment to clear my bigger tank but previously I had daytona bars and used a national cycle plexistar 2.

My bike outside of Hell.

I just installed the Plexistar 2 on my '80 Custom. The mount system takes some fussing to get right but it is solid. Depending on your height you can raise or lower the windshield for a perfect fit. Mine is about an inch low so I get the wind against my helmet. It doesn't push my head back but it makes a lot of noise.

·
Registered
534 Posts

I really like this... he's using mounts that clamp to the handlebars? Looking for "Memphis Shades windshield" on ebay, there are a lot of interesting ones that are fairly cheap, but they have custom mounts to other bike models (like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VT110...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item519bd05a47

It seems, just looking at these versus the photo of your brother's cx500 shield, that you could do some sort of custom mount to the bolts on the side of the cx500 headlight (somewhat similar to the mounts on the link above, maybe either drill different holes or bolt another plate on that plate and then drill a hole in it). Anyone have/see anything like this before?

I guess I could do some measurements, buy one that I think might work, and try to figure it out.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Hey Don that windshield on your brother's bike looks familiar! If thats the one I sent you I am glad he is getting some good use out of it.

Cheers

Joe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.