Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey good folks,

I got a 78 cx500 about a month ago (bought it partially disassembled for $200) and have finally gotten most of the gaskets replaced, fixed the shifter, put a new cover on the seat and am getting ready to paint etc. but wanted to fire it up first. I have the Clymer manual but cannot figure out where/what hoses should attach to the two "nipples" on the bottom of the carb (every pic has hoses in it, just not attached to anything) and there is a 2nd smaller ground connector with a rubber cap that comes off the stator that I can't figure out what it attaches to - I'll try to put some pics on - can anyone help?

THANKS!

...and yes, though it looks grimy in the picture, I cleaned a ton of gunk of the engine and did the carbs. Was only interested in going so far cosmetically with a bike that might not run (back story: I bought it from a guy whose son purchased it about two years ago (running), son took it partially apart, did some bad spray canning, and lost interest. Moved to Idaho and the Dad wanted to clean out his garage. I figured it could be a fun project).

·
Registered
127 Posts
The nipples on the bottom of the carbs are just drains (I think) and they should just drop down in front of the rear tire. What color is the wire in the pic?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nipples on the bottom of the carbs are just drains (I think) and they should just drop down in front of the rear tire. What color is the wire in the pic?

Whew! Fast reply! I thought those were the fuel drains (hence the screw) but I didn't want to NOT attach something. The wire is black (so is the rubber cap). The only other wire like that I've seen on this bike goes to the starter motor, so I'm a little worried to not attach it...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It isn't for the starter is it? I'll look at mine and see what I can find, I've built 1, and stripped another, and know the bike quite well, but that isn't ringing a bell off hand...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
It might be the neutral safety switch wire. If it is it connects at the bottom rear of the engine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It isn't for the starter is it? I'll look at mine and see what I can find, I've built 1, and stripped another, and know the bike quite well, but that isn't ringing a bell off hand...

No - the starter has a cable coming from something in front of the rectifier by the positive terminal of the battery (I'm still learning what these whoseywhatsits are). It was in there from when I got the bike and the wiring layout makes sense.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
No - the starter has a cable coming from something in front of the rectifier by the positive terminal of the battery (I'm still learning what these whoseywhatsits are). It was in there from when I got the bike and the wiring layout makes sense.
Do you have the manual? We have a link for a free download if you don't yet, it might help

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have the manual? We have a link for a free download if you don't yet, it might help

I do have the Clymer manual - and downloaded the shop one from the Forum. What a wealth of information! I think Shep might have it (according to the wiring shcematic) I'll check on that and let you guys know.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think it is the neutral switch wire,,green with red stripe according to clymer diagrams.

It comes out of the wiring harness by the stator wires and runs down the rear cover by the small pulsar cover to the switch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although the wiring diagram on the above link page gives it as going to the Starter solenoid I agree with Allen because of the connector and small cover.

Allan appears to be correct. I couldn't find any obvious attachment around the starter solenoid so I looked under the rear of the engine and there appears to be the correct size fitting etc. Now if I could only find a nut that size in the bucket I got with the bike......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts