Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Try using the search function on the forum. There have been a few members that had really stuck pistons but with some persistence they got them moving again. Lots of soaking the cylinder/piston with fluids and then trying to move pistons back/forth. It will take some time, patience & elbow grease if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Once the pistons are out, then the rusted top ring has to be removed without damaging them, so another challenge.

I don't see a lot of electric motorcycles, either new or conversions. I could do the morgan tribute vehicle with the cx500 motor as an electric. hmm. Of course that just makes no technical sense whatsoever, but everyone seems to like stupid builds..on youtube...

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,710 Posts
Here's a thought: Remove everything else from inside the crankcase, put the heads back on and hang it on front of the rad for the look but hide the electric motor &c under the hood.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I got the pistons out. The other side came out normally and rings are free on the piston.
The rusted side..I started cutting up the case to try and get the crankshaft out, eventually got it out,
then I could tap the piston out the bottom where there was no rust.
Rings are not moving, so have to solve this problem..soak it in something?

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim Automotive design
Automotive tire Gear Font Household hardware Metal

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I soaked the one piston in atf+acetone for about 30 hours, and then I could remove the oil rings.
But the top and second rings not a chance. Used a propane torch and didn't budge.
May just call it quits on this piston, in fact, getting the engine to run again.
The table full of parts of this engine is enormous. Pistons, crank, valves, rockets, chains, gears, levers, bearings, etc.
I think an electric motor to replace all of it just makes more sense.

I'm going to gut this crankcase and see if I can fit a prius motor (mg1) inside, looks like it fits.
I will start a build thread at that point. :)

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The prius motor in particular needs an enclosure, as I've removed the rotor and stator from the prius transaxle case.
I might also want to use the transmission gears, but probably no room for it all, maybe just one gear though.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Here's a thought: Remove everything else from inside the crankcase, put the heads back on and hang it on front of the rad for the look but hide the electric motor &c under the hood.
Jeezzz...
This might lead to gutted solo Cx barn finds powered by 2 stroke motors...
Bye bye cam chain and valve adjustments...😄

21 - 31 of 31 Posts