Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been quiet for the the last 6 or 7 months. Recovery from a challenging bout with Covid has been slow. Lungs have improved a little. My strength is also returning. I have not ridden much, but we are back in Florida for the winter. Brought two Harleys and a 1944 WM20 BSA. The BSA is getting close to being reassembled. All parts cleaned and primed. The engine is almost ready to go back together. Finding parts is challenging and expensive. The last major part is the magdyno. Rebuilt is about $1000.00 dollars.
My 1980 CX500D saw a few trips. I have not had time to restore my 1980 CX 500C. It is next after the BSA goes back together.
Looking forward to Daytona Bike Week. Starting tomorrow and running for about a week is clear, dry weather the high 60’s to mid 70’s. Time to get serious about riding again.
while we have a nice home in Florida it only has a two car garage. We will be building a shed/workshop for the projects. The car sits outside and the bike live inside as it should be.
Miss you guys
Merry Christmas to all
Charlie (Fatboy) Haws

oh anyone visiting bike week please reach out. I spend almost days there.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Thanks for the update. I am sorry the recovery has been so slow for you but am happy you are recovering. I have missed your input on the forum. Glad to have you back!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Always good to hear from you. Best wishes for a continuing recovery!

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
197 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
I have not decided who I will purchase the unit from. The magdyno was missing on the basket case bike.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hello,
I have not decided who I will purchase the unit from. The magdyno was missing on the basket case bike.
Any suggestions?
I didn't know what a magdyno was and when I was looking them up I came across a UK company that refurbishes them, but if you're needing the whole thing this doesn't really help:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Magdynos are marvelous things. If you don’t need headlights to run at at night you don’t need the dynamo.
The secret to stealing a WWII BSA is knowing how to start one. Not as simple as turning a key and hitting the button.

First you turn the fuel on, then you tickle the carb, then depress the decompression lever, apply choke, kick it through three times, release the decompression lever, kick it over until you get to Top Dead Center, depress the decompression lever and kick through about 2-3 inches, place the advance-retard lever just a little less then full advance. Now you are ready to start the bike or sprain an ankle or maybe break your leg. Those very long stroke 500cc engines can really kick back.

my CX500after it’s spring bath.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
692 Posts
Fatboy, 1st that is a really clean CX. 2nd I tried to send you message but don't know what am doing. Have 3 friends here in Twin Cities with military BSA Also have friend who can tell you any detail on them (size -thread-etc on even the bolts). He gives lots of free info & said you are welcome to call him. Contact me I I will give you his info.
Paul

·
Registered
197 Posts
That sounds like a nightmare to start, and I'm vaguely familiar with the kick start on some older bikes being...mean.

That there is a beautiful bike though, I'm really liking that maroon and matte black.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fatboy, 1st that is a really clean CX. 2nd I tried to send you message but don't know what am doing. Have 3 friends here in Twin Cities with military BSA Also have friend who can tell you any detail on them (size -thread-etc on even the bolts). He gives lots of free info & said you are welcome to call him. Contact me I I will give you his info.
Paul
Hello Randall,
email me at [email protected]
I am very interested in connecting up with your buddy’s.
Thanks for the good words about the bike. I was laid up with a knee replacement when it came up for sale. I got it and a 1976 Honda Elinsore for $800 bucks delivered.
I the told the guy if it had spark I was a buyer. He shows up and it had spark.
I was going to cut it up and make a cafe racer. When I saw the condition I could not do anything but clean it up. The tank was rusted. I cleaned it out and used POR 15 method.
i rebuilt the carbs, new plugs and oil. Gassed her up and pressed the start button. It sprang to life after a couple of revolutions. The ties were original, date coded 1980. It was last licensed in 1994. The guy scared himself one day and put it away. The neighbor got hold of it, but he did know where to start. It had a little over 3000 miles. What a deal/steal! I need to change out the original brake lines. They still work perfectly, but! I used pvc spacers and 5 cent pieces to tune the front end ride. It goes. Just get a little buzzy around 70 mph. I have done the ton using the bike speedo. I often get a little wheelie when shifting into second. Strong runner.
I have another one. A 1980C. It is apart. Some day I will put her back on the road. It to is very clean and very low miles. I think around 5000. The owner took it apart to paint the engine? It does have a couple coats a some maroon paint that will have to go. The bike is black. It’s tank is perfect. He lost his storage. I had called about it, but decided I have enough projects. A month or so later he called baCX and said it I can pick the bike up the next day o could have it. It came with a clear title too.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Aircraft Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Wheel Sky Automotive tire

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,433 Posts
Hello Randall,
email me at [email protected]
I am very interested in connecting up with your buddy’s.
Hi, Charlie. That would be Paul (april2007) with the extensive network of vintage enthusiasts. My experience, and my circle, are mostly limited to the CX/GL series.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul
Sorry I got confused on who sent the info.
I have got it straight now.
Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts