Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the regular old timers might remember me as I picked up a 1980 CX500 with a Vetter Vindicator fairing back in 2009, and the saga of replacing the stator, the electric fan conversion, the HID headlight install, the LED lamps and etc.

Well I did not want to hijack someone elses thread so I am starting my own, yesterday I was out riding around and stopped off at a strip mall to see about upgrading my cell phone.

I parked next to a nice Yamaha Vmax, the owner who is a few years older than myself drives car haulers between Anchorage and Fairbanks, myself I drive a concrete mixer locally, then I started talking about my CX and he says his son has a 1983 CX650 and that it was for sale. I went over to see it and its in pretty darn good shape.

It has not run in a while and the fuel tank is dry but corrosion free, the mufflers are like new, the seat has just been recovered and looks trick.

The plugs are out but thats because he put Marvel oil in the cylinders, the fork seals though leak. In the past the original battery died and he bought one the wrong size, he bought one taller, so he takes the tray and extends it another inch or so and now it can carry a bigger battery.

He is a devout biker even though he is 63, he has a really cool garage shop full of old bike posters, he actually has two Yamaha Vmax bikes, the newer one id heavily customized. I don't see anything wrong with the engine though I have not heard it running, he takes care of his bikes quite well it seems, so we struck a deal and in another hour or two I will head over with my truck and trailer and I will pick it up.

Now thanks to this forum I know quite a lot about the CX500, but this 1983 CX650 was a one year bike so now I will have to start all over again, he says it has an electric fan, was this an original design? I also think I read somewhere that the 650 had a slightly different gear ratio, and of course it has a different ignition system?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its now at my shop,we loaded it into my utility trailer, tied it off and away I went. One of these days I will build my dream bike shop at home, for many years I just do all my work at my day job where the shop is a huge building that I can park 6 concrete mixers in and its where I keep all my tools.

Looks like I will have to get my battery charged from the CX500 which its doing right now, the CX500 has been in storage since last fall and I have not had the time to clean it up, put the seat back on and to just plain ride it.

The owner threw in a brand new windshield kit with the bike! The front tire has a leak at the valve stem so it will have to be replaced, tomorrow morning I will get a battery in it and some fuel and I will crank it up. Hopefully I will get some pics of it, I would call this a rare find, its in great shape, the real only issue is a broken choke cable, it has 23,000 miles on it, no rust and the tank has been painted, the seat redone by an expert.

I paid $500 for it! In Alaska that is unusually rare no matter what kind of bike, even old dirt bikes.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The thing I learned about the 650's the hard way is there's an oil pickup in the oil pan, which the 500's don't have, so i didn't know to look for it and clean it, and took my new GL650 for a 5 mile ride, and heard a knocking followed by a stalling, and no start up, so I pushed it home and then noticed it... So I recommend cleaning that just to be safe. The electric fans are stock to the 650's. The 650's also use the TI ignition, which is what the GL500's use, and the 82 CX. I'm not sure the gear ratio, being that I only made it 5 miles, and didn't have a speedometer, but I know the 500's run about 500 rpm's lower than the speed you're going... I do know the 650 has some BALLS, I took off from the gas station and rode it like I do the 500 fairly hard, turning left the back tire spun and kicked sideways a little bit, not spin out power, but it's got roach the back tire power... I'd clean the oil pick up just to be safe, change fluids, clean carbs, and enjoy

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one has a choke lever affair on the left handlebar, the small round crimped end broke off the cable, I was thinking of using a bicycle shifter cable to replace it with looks like the same size, and I have an old ten speed bike.

I was just lurking over at the CX Oz forums, they say the starter has a poor internal ground design and they had a pictorial of how to locate and to drill and tap for a grounding screw, also they suggest a headlight relay and it was also talked about having a manual switch to bypass the coolant sender should it fail.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Yes the electric fans were fitted as stock to the 650s.They were at the time when nearly all automotive designers changed over to the more efficient Thermostatically controlled fans.For me the point at which the fans kick in is too high IMHO and I would bypass it and use one of my 75 Deg C N/O temp sensors or an 80 Deg C N/O one.

Also the Starter clutch mechanisms get more hammering so a well serviced or ground strap modified starter motor is a,"Must Do" IMHO.Use the search function with flywheel for more info.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey there! I've put together a site specifically for the CX650s and am slowly getting it built up
It's located here: https://sites.google.com/site/1983hondacx650c/ I've posted a link to a great writeup on rebuilding the starters too. That is here: http://ofapars-.webs.com/footerin.htm

Keep checking the site as I put up new information as I get it. Oh, and enjoy your CX650!
I will check into it, thanks! I grabbed my battery that has been in the house since last october from the CX500 but I think it has went bad, starter seems to be dragging, so on my way home from work I bought a new Napa battery, I'll swap it out in the morning and if the starter still drags then I will do the internal ground mod.

But I did get the bike running, the RH fuel bowl puked until it had a love tap from my small Snapon ballpeen hammer. Engine sounds lean, I think the carbs need to be cleaned, the valves adjusted, from what I gather it hasn't ran in a year. It smoked up a bit and then cleared but I'm getting a lot of poppity pops out the pipes. Plugs are too white for me.

Turn signals are inoperative, probably just the flasher, I had the same issues with the CX500. It does have a Metzeler on the rear but an older Dunlop on the front so I will order another Metzeler from Dennis Kirk, I did have Bridgestone Spitfires on the CX 500. But I have new Metzelers on my Yamaha and I like them. And I will be ordering the Pro moly fork seals with dust boots also from Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a new battery all charged up that I picked up from Napa and will be leaving for work shortly.I spend an hour or two before I clock in working on my own projects.

First thing I am doing is removing the starter and seeing about which is easier to do, a solid metal bypass strap or a 10 gauge wire with soldered terminals. I may even run a dedicated ground wire from the starter itself back to the negative side of the battery as well, just in case of bad ground connections to the frame.

I have not paid much attention to CX 650 problems before because all my interest was about the CX500, now that I have both I realize the CX650 is quite different.

What surprises me up front is that the engine is actually 673cc, not anywhere near 650. I would have thought Honda would have given another millimeter or two to something and rounded it out and thus could have called it the CX 675.

My co-workers are royally pissed at me, they hear it running, they see it up close and they are totally jealous I picked this up at $500, anything even close to this goes for around $2,000 up here in Alaska and older bikes in this good of shape are rare indeed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
These 650 c's are a great bike. Powerful, light, and nimble. They are around to be had but are pretty far and few in between so if you 've got one or have a lead on one I say hang on to it. Like the 650 I they were a one year bike, simplified down from the I with lower slung modifications. There is a oil screen on the pick up that needs periodic cleaning under the removable oil pan. A new gasket is needed when doing this. I consider these beasts to be treasures and I was fortuneate enough to find one as a parts bike to help maintain the other three in my stable. I let go of my deluxe and 650 I so I could concentrate on these creatures. Other than when on our transverse spring rides, I never see another one of them on the road. Unlike the thousands of harley's everywhere. Enjoy.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am having issues with the starter, with only an hour before work I did clean the inside of the starter, lots of old carbon from the brushes, but I did not do the internal ground strap mod, I just cleaned the obvious apparent pitted tangs and just bent them up a wee bit so when I tighten the long screws it was suppose to create pressure on these, but the starter is still dragging.

I am basically going to have to take everything apart, I am seeing corrosion at a lot of connectors and now I have what appears to be a shorted regulator, in the morning I will take the DVOM to it.

Long day, longest DAY of the year here in Alaska, just did 12 hours at work at the concrete plant, and then having to fight tourist traffic with a loaded mixer truck.

Well its off to bed now, tomorrow is another day.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Shep, yeah I might take the one from the CX500 and see how it spins. I am beginning to think the major ground wire from the battery is corroded internally, the regulator has a burnt connector in the small plug connector,it looks like corrosion all over it, possibly it has overheated, I had a dead short that blew the main fuse, no short when I unplugged the regulator, looks like I will be ordering a new regulator from Dennis Kirk, I hope the stator is OK, but with 24,000 miles on the bike while its still early for any stator problem I may just go ahead and replace it anyway, since I now know what to look out for when I did the stator on the Cx500 this should be easier.

The previous owner I think gave up chasing the electrical gremlin and that is why his dad decided to sell the bike to me for only $500. But I pretty much know what to look for and how to test everything.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The ground strap mod is worthy but I've noticed that with all my starters(I have 3 spares serviced in bags) it's the brush plate to body area that gets corroded.Once bared and cleaned they function perfectly.No extra grounding to the starter bodies required so long as the engine side area where the two frame bolts go through is bared and the bracket they attach to the engine is the same.

See this thread as well,

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...__+starter++advance__fromsearch__1#entry19368

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
The regulators are pretty robust, and if the stator tested okay (equal resistance between yellow wires and infinite resistance from any/all yellow wires to ground) I'd hold off on buying a regulator or stator for awhile as on the TI bike the stator and regulator is only needed for battery charging, you should be able to test run the engine with them bad anyway, assuming a good battery. Trying your 500 starter is a good way to evaluate the 650 starter. The CX650C is the only (carbureted) model of our series that takes a battery with the pos and neg terminals in the opposite position on the battery as I recall, watch out for this. It is possible to stretch the cables into the other layout I think, but tough. The 650s need a strong battery. The TI ignition system is also nearly bullet proof, maybe even up to Alaskan standards of toughness :). When I clean up a starter I polish the commutator by chucking the rotor into a drill motor and carefully "sanding" the commutator with fine emory paper, then blow off and clean thoroughly. A drop of light oil on the bushings and replace the spacer washers as they came out to maintain the proper end play. Per your other thread, unless the battery was in poor condition, I don't think a short time on a high amperage charger would hurt it, and should not damage the bike, unless the polarity was backwards. I think the blown fuse has another cause. The new battery, correct polarity, and a good charge will give you a solid troubleshooting foundation, along with the known good starter, your co-workers will be even more envious before long! A weakness of the CX650Cs is the rubber stalks on all four signal lights, original ones either have or are trying to fail and break off. They can be bought new, either OEM or aftermarked, I forget, for a reasonable price. Don't waste money on "good" used ones of unknown age. The CX650C is the lightest and quickest of the ALL the 650s (including Turbos, off the line and up to 60 mph or so, heh heh). After which the Ts do what they do so well. Zoom zoom. Also, the CX650C shares virtually no common parts with other CX/GLs, outside of 650 engine parts. Email me if you need something CX650C, I have a few parts. motorcycleguy DOT rich AT gmail DOT com

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Starter works fine now just by cleaning those tangs and the aluminum end housing they make contact with, starter works fine, regulator works fine and is charging alright. instead of using the spare fuse strip i modded two short pieces of 12ga. wire with #8 terminals and a pair of insulated female spades with a 30a ATO fuse.

So it starts fine, next I need to fix the choke cable, it broke the end off at the lever, I still have the cable end, maybe I can drill the wire out and then recrimp the cable., and the actuator lever is on the left handlebar, on my CX500 its in the middle of the handlebars, pulls out instead of this lever thing on this bike.. And then I need to repair the socket pigtails in the front turn signals. I'm not sure but I think the owner may have done something to the vacuum petcock, it will deliver fuel in the On position without the engine running, I may just leave it like that and just plug off the vacuum line.

I am about to order the fork seals from Dennis Kirk.

Now back to the starter mod, its a good idea for a person who has the knowhow and the right tools and fasteners, for a novice just cleaning the inside and especially those contact points is easier, thats what I did and it works, for how long I cannot say against a bolted ground.

I am admitting I did screw up and that is why my main fuse blew, I took out the battery from my CX500 to put in a bigger one that had the terminals opposite and didn't notice the difference.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An update, not much time to actually work on bike what with my regular job being at the peak of its season.

I have some oil leakage from the head gaskets and the weep hole from the plugs. When its been sitting awhile it starts with lots of smoke, so I am going to pull the heads, de-coke the valves, replace the stem seals, check the valves. I have another set of heads for my CX 500, I wonder if they are the same?

I found the fuel petcock tube full of sludge, reserve would have never worked, previous owner converted the vacuum assembly to stay open or rather its strictly a manually operated valve, I cleaned it thoroughly and decided to leave it like that for now.

There is no air filter, only a fine mesh screen in the air box, and practically nobody has an air filter. Again I wonder if a GL or a CB uses the same filter? The plug caps had the resistors, I converted to using solid copper rods left over from the CX500. Bike has 23,900 miles, it charges fine so I am leaving the stator alone for now, same with water pump seal as it doesn't leak.

When the heads come off I will drain and flush the cooling system and clean out the water jacket area around the piston as on my CX500 it had some sludge stuck there, Peak Global and distilled water will go back in.

My front single brake rotor is badly chewed up, I wonder if any other model has the same rotor? It looks bigger than the CX500, it is a double piston caliper of course.

I am seeing others with headlight problems, I will convert mine to a different set up and will post my results, I am a fantastic fabricator. I* might design my own LED headlight, I have those high output Cree emitters.

I am tempted to just pull the motor, clean and detail it to high heaven and make this bike a keeper as from what I think if I have read it right is that only 1200 of these bikes were built or maybe were shipped to America. So I am beginning to think I maybe should not ever sell it. Or to modify it drastically.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CX Interchange

I just found this link, apparently the 83 CX650 LH brake rotor is the same as the 83 GL 1100. And Dennis Kirk dells those.

Lots of other good info there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts