Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching this forum for a few years, finally ready to begin my work...
I plan to get this bike running, then decide then what else needs to be fixed. (trying to follow the feedback provided to many people)
I am planning to keep this bike stock. I have longer-term plans to cafe something else.

This bike was running when it was stored, approx 4 years ago.
I am planning to perform a limited tear-down and inspection...
- Change oil and filter, change drive lube, clean/flush gas tank, change air filter
- Measure stator
- Replace Carburetor Intake Manifold Boots (rubber is cracked)
- Rebuild Front Brake, Replace Brake line with braided line
- and whatever else that I see may need to be worked...

I am sure that I will be searching the forum and asking for advice.
As it is winter here in Texas, I will be taking my time to rebuild. (even though it will be 70 degrees plus today)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
234 Posts
As it is winter here in Texas, I will be taking my time to rebuild. (even though it will be 70 degrees plus today)

Headed out myself on a ride because it's 70 here in Virginia. Perfect riding weather.

Murray's carbs has a nice set of aluminum intakes but they're for the CX650 stock carbs, maybe he has a set for the 500s? I know he sells them with the mikuni setups.

From the CX/GL500 carb kit:

Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Headed out myself on a ride because it's 70 here in Virginia. Perfect riding weather.

Murray's carbs has a nice set of aluminum intakes but they're for the CX650 stock carbs, maybe he has a set for the 500s? I know he sells them with the mikuni setups.

From the CX/GL500 carb kit:

View attachment 211361
I just looked at Murray's site, no intakes for the CX500 (that I see) Thanks for the heads-up.

By looking again at Murray's site, I remember that I need to check/adjust the valves also...
the to-do list just keep getting longer.... (the list of fun stuff)

My current list, in no particular order...
- Rebuild Front Brake, Replace Brake line with braided line <-- in work
to be worked...
  • Change oil and filter
  • Change drive lube
  • Clean/flush gas tank
  • Change air filter
  • Measure stator
  • Replace Carburetor Intake Manifold Boots (rubber is cracked)
  • Replace the tires (they are over 5 years old)
  • Check/adjust the valves (I do have Murray's Valve Quick Set Tool)
  • Check/adjust timing chain tension

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
234 Posts
@alanjdier55 I know @murrayf made a post about some aluminum intakes for stock gl500 carbs awhile back but said he wasn't doing them for CXs, said there were too many chinese replacements to make it worthwhile. The metal intake and boots he ships with his carbs I don't think will allow a stock airbox setup dimension-ally. I only just now read his last post on it, didn't know he wasn't doing CX's

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@alanjdier55 I know @murrayf made a post about some aluminum intakes for stock gl500 carbs awhile back but said he wasn't doing them for CXs, said there were too many chinese replacements to make it worthwhile. The metal intake and boots he ships with his carbs I don't think will allow a stock airbox setup dimension-ally. I only just now read his last post on it, didn't know he wasn't doing CX's

No problem, I appreciate the thought.
Yes, lots of Chinese knock-offs are available (many of them on Ebay)

·
Registered
79 Posts
What a coincidence, I’m going to be doing the something similar to my 79 deluxe.
Good luck on the repairs. Hope there’s not many gremlins hiding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.