Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my friends just sold me a junked honda cx500 for 100 bucks it looks to be in decent condition for a junked bike and he claims it should run... but the wiring harness is kind of jacked up so it wont start but the lights n what not come on... so idk were to start with it and the start doesnt wanna start cause it isnt getting any power...

p.s. if u guys need more info to even help me out just let me no iall tell u everything i no but i am new to working on bikes im good with cars but this is my first bike n i wanna learn so dont be a dick and call me noob and all this bs cause i no lol i am a noob n thats why im here.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
ok so my friends just sold me a junked honda cx500 for 100 bucks it looks to be in decent condition for a junked bike and he claims it should run... but the wiring harness is kind of jacked up so it wont start but the lights n what not come on... so idk were to start with it and the start doesnt wanna start cause it isnt getting any power...

p.s. if u guys need more info to even help me out just let me no iall tell u everything i no but i am new to working on bikes im good with cars but this is my first bike n i wanna learn so dont be a dick and call me noob and all this bs cause i no lol i am a noob n thats why im here.

Alrighty, where to begin?..... Welcome to the forum, as it's THE place to go for these bikes. No, seriously- these guys know their stuff. As we usually end up telling all noobs (yes, I called you a noob.... I couldn't help it
) please take a few minutes and finish filling out your profile. Enter your bike in the signature line- that way when you post in the future people will be able to see what you have and go quickly from there. Also remember to add in your location. We are a worldwide group and sometimes there are members close enough to meet up and wrench, or just go for a ride.

You mentioned the wiring harness. Under the "General Discussion" area you'll see a 'pinned' topic at the top called 'Quick Reference'. There is a HUGE assortment of important information there- including wiring diagrams. What have you done (or what has your friend done- if you know.. was it his riding bike before and he wrecked it, did he get it 'junked' in order to have a project, what's up with it- why are you specifically calling it junked?)? Did you check fuses? How old is the battery? Any more info you have on the bike?

(As a side note, if you find yourself with too many parts or needing a part- check here before e-bay. The forum is full of members who love these bikes and want to keep them on the road, so you just might find what you're looking for!)

Some of us are old school and it takes us a bit longer to go through a post where things are spelled wrong because it's the shortened, texting/ im speak. Once in a while it's no big deal, semi-frequently it's alright, but probably not for the duration of the post- There is the possibility of a person who could otherwise help you getting frustrated and navigating away from the post.

You'll find the forum has members from all walks of life, and age runs the gamut from late teens/ early twenties to the not-so-young (don't EVER call them old here- caning is legal here on the forum!!) and experience from brand new rider to seasoned pro. Being worldwide there is usually someone on here at any given point- and we certainly like pictures!!

Anyway, welcome again! Ask questions, have fun- and we'll get you riding in no time!

~MK

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

Welcome to the group. Like Dakota said, check out the top thread in the general section, there's a checklist for "I just got a bike" that will walk you through the initial checks and maintenance. First thing to do though is go to your login info and post where you are and what exactly you have, year and model of CX, that'll help everybody help you out more.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Welcome aboard, Antoine. You mention the lights work, but the starter motor doesn't? Definitely get the wiring diagram in front of you and see where things stand. The starter might just be unhooked/wired wrong. Or it could be it needs a rebuild (not very hard, and if you need to replacements are not too hard to find).

As stated before, we do need some more specifics on the history of the bike if you can. Ask away!

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I am personally not a fan of shorting the terminals on the solenoid. There are a number of things I would try before doing that. Since something is wrong electrically with the bike and we don't know what it is yet, shorting the solenoid can be hazardous.

A volt meter is a must. So is a known good battery. I had a battery recently that showed 13.3Vdc but it had no amperage.

You can test the starter with a 2 amp battery charger. Red on the cable and black to the starter housing. 2 amps it won't spin fast or have a ton of torque, but it will let you know if there is a problem. Don't leave it on long, as your battery charger may not like it much but won't do any damage. It's just 2 8mm bolts to take the starter off and a screw driver to pry it a little out of the rear casing due to the 0-ring.

But if you have the key on and you test for voltage at the starter while hitting the starter button and there is no voltage, the solenoid should be clicking. Normally this is because there is not enough amperage available to turn the starter and you are hearing the contact opening and closing. The glass fuse and cheap holder should have never been put on a motorcycle. Most of us have upgraded this to a sealed blade type fuse and holder. A weak contact in this area will not allow the amperage flow required for the starter.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
try to pulling in the clutch. thats the only way mine well start.
You may be used to that, or perhaps you like the "safety" of having to pull in the clutch to start it. But if our neutral safety switch is working, then we can start it without the clutch pulled in, as long as we are in neutral.

I understand why you said it though
Gave you a +1 for that idea. It's a good one.

Maybe he (or she?) is in the garage right now tinkering, or maybe taking pictures!!!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Welcome, you have come to the best place there is if you want to fix up a CX500. I worked a lot on cars, but this is my first bike, and these people here have taught me more in a few months that I could have learned in 5 years in a bike class :)

Not only do they know their stuff, they will guide you through anything, from a bad light to an engine rebuild :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow this has been the warmest welcome on a forum ive ever had so thank you everybody and i look forward to chatting it up with u guys! and sorry i didnt give a little more info the bike is a 79 cx500 my friend actually got it from a junk yard but he claims it would run when fixed but he never had the time to fix it he thought the only thing wrong with it would be the wiring harness need to be fixed but im not sure if thats all it needs... sigh i just dont no were to begin with it.

p.s. i can provide pictures if that will help get things rolling.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Antoine500, Welcome from Georgia.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You may be used to that, or perhaps you like the "safety" of having to pull in the clutch to start it. But if our neutral safety switch is working, then we can start it without the clutch pulled in, as long as we are in neutral.

I understand why you said it though
Gave you a +1 for that idea. It's a good one.

Maybe he (or she?) is in the garage right now tinkering, or maybe taking pictures!!!

no i really mean it wont start if the clutch isnt pulled in took me forever figure it out.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
antoine500,

Thank you for spelling things out on your last post.

I am terrible at text speak. I would have to wait for my son (either of them) to come over and read it to me other wise.

The horror of being old and stubborn!

Your bike. Do you have a multimeter? You said your good with cars so I a$$ume you do.

Check out the wiring diagram and follow the voltage.

I know it sounds crazy and too simple but that is the only way I know to approach it.

Do the lights dim when you press the start button? Are you getting voltage to the starter? You said it is not getting power but what about voltage? Can you offer more detail?

Also make sure the engine is not locked up. The starter might be fine but the engine not turning.

Put it in neutral. If you have a center stand put it on it. Put a 17 mm socket on the large bolt on the front of the engine. it is between and above the oil filter housing and the clutch cover. Go counter clockwise to remove this bolt. It is actually just an inspection cover.

Once it is out put your 17mm socket in there and turn clockwise.

If it turns then your engine is not locked up. If it is difficult to turn you need to figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the welcome black81. haha oh wow i did not no that about the clutch! lol the clutch is actually disconnected so im going to try n figure out how to connect it tomorrow thanks that should be a good start. No problem tony i totally understand how it could be a little confusing haha i still get confused sometimes. but yeah i have a multimeter lol somewhere around my garage just got to find it but thanks for the info on how to tell if the engine has locked up i well most definitely check that out

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
When you check cranking your engine over by hand, remember to take the spark plugs out first. I forgot that once and though I had a seized engine lol. Fortunatly, after a few tim hortons extra lage's I found my goof lol Have to remember to keep my fluids up :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys,

Don't mean to steal a thread, but wondering about a problem I have. I've checked to see if the engine is locked through that 17mm nut. It's very difficult to turn (doesn't turn) and it doesn't want to shift gears. Has fresh oil and good starter. Just wondering what's mechanically going on in there to fix this problem.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Hey guys,

Don't mean to steal a thread, but wondering about a problem I have. I've checked to see if the engine is locked through that 17mm nut. It's very difficult to turn (doesn't turn) and it doesn't want to shift gears. Has fresh oil and good starter. Just wondering what's mechanically going on in there to fix this problem.
Hi kcornell

Its better for you and others if you start a new thread

and provide info on what bike you have and recent history

pics are good as well.

its less confusing and you'll find the answers more focussed

on your own specific problem that way

Reg

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
We need more information, kcornell. Did this just happen, or is it a bike that has set for awhile? Have you pulled the plugs and squirted a little penetrating oil into the cylinder? Make sure you are turning the bolt under the front inspection hole clockwise too.

If this is a recent problem, forcing the engine to rotate when it doesn't want to can only cause more damage. You may have a broken cam chain, dropped valve, stator binding, or any number of other problems. The non shifting problem could also indicate a transmission problem. I would thread carefully from forcing anything.

I would also suggest that you start a new thread for your problem. And edit your profile showing your location and bike model.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Do you have a qwerty keyboard and a computer or are you pounding your messages out with one finger in a checkout line somewhere?

It takes a similar if not less effort to post in plain English. Our foreign forum members put great effort at times into making themselves understood. Personally, I regard posting in text speech when you know you should be using accepted English smacks of both laziness and a lack of respect.

This is a technically oriented forum, words matter and mean specific things, clear understandable communication is necessary to understand and hopefully help or resolve problems. If you have to take 5 minutes to figure out what the question is, it's easier to ignore and go on to the next post.

OP, take this in the spirit it is intended, if you're offended or whatever, that's OK, but think about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.