Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, my bike will soon arrive and chances the battery is dead are high. So, how can I jump start in using a portable jumpstarter? are there any

external posts to hook up? any care I should have...?

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
While you can jump start by putting the jumper leads directly onto the bikes battery terminals {in the correct polarity of course} it can be better to put the earth terminal directly to the starter motor mount and the positive to the starter side of the solenoid.

Switch on the ignition and kill switch before you do this and the bike will crank as soon as the positive terminal is applied.

This takes much of the load off the bikes own electricals and battery which can be a bonus if the bike is disinclined to start.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sure, the bike will crank over, but the fuel pump will not have primed the efi's fuel system, and the ECU may not accept some of its inputs as genuine, because some may be there before the ECU does its "power-up and check" routine.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Sorry, found this in "todays active content" and didn't realise you were referring to one of those newfangled turbocharged, computerised, EFI thingummies.

Though if there's any charge in the battery at all this still holds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.