Tank and seat off

Coil Testing

Rats nest wiring at the back

All cleaned up, with the JB welded cracked right coil off the bike

Tank, Front fender, tail light

My 3 month old was hanging with us and having a great time

The "holy" tank

Culprit #1

Trust me when I say that coil is TOTALLY covered in JB weld. It's a disgrace.... The other two issues are the tank is leaking on the left side in that spot and on the right side near the bottom of the tank. I've been recommended to take it to a welder to get it brazed, the local rad shop doesn't "coat" the tanks on bikes, there is minimal rust in the tank as it is not sure if they can fix it. The other major issue is the carbs leak...like a sieve. So I guess its off to oldbikebarn and order a gasket kit (or two?)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Beautiful baby!

If the welder knows what he is doing brazing the holes in that tank shouldn't be a big deal. ALL traces of fuel must be removed of course, and the rust removed from the area. Muriatic acid works good to get the steel ready to braze.

Gaskets are not always necessary for the carbs, but be sure to clean them 100%. Cannot stress this enough. There is a lot of info on cleaning carbs here or get Larry's book and do it right. Mine leaked when I got the bike and a thorough cleaning was all they needed.

Good luck with the bike. You will be riding soon.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
It looks pretty good other than that coil.

Now, that accessory in the basket would really look good on the bike in about 10-15 years!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful baby!

If the welder knows what he is doing brazing the holes in that tank shouldn't be a big deal. ALL traces of fuel must be removed of course, and the rust removed from the area. Muriatic acid works good to get the steel ready to braze.

Gaskets are not always necessary for the carbs, but be sure to clean them 100%. Cannot stress this enough. There is a lot of info on cleaning carbs here or get Larry's book and do it right. Mine leaked when I got the bike and a thorough cleaning was all they needed.

Good luck with the bike. You will be riding soon.

I'm doing the pine sol method LOL to get them clean. I got 4 of the gaskets for 16$ on ebay so no complaints there, Got a coil there too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

More pics of the coil and the "masterful" jb weld job, the bottom pic shows the crack has spread since the jb weld days from what I can tell. Sorry for the bad lighting it was under 300 watts of light, the camera couldn't get it right LOL.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stuff replaced/fixed/on order/on the way:

Right Ignition coil

Carb gaskets (just in case)

Oil filter

Air filter

Front brakes

Rear Brakes

Stainless brake line from JDA

Rear right turn signal

Tank repair in progress

Carbs soak in pinesol this weekend

Once that's done, time to sand/strip and prep for paint. Anyone know where I can get a quart of yellow (like my avatar) for cheap? Enamel or Ureathane doesn't matter to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.