Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with great sadness I am conveying the news that Jim Tidmarsh has passed away.
Jim was a great friend to me, and a long time member of this group.

Jim showed up at many rallies including the very first Amish as well as the Vermont rally and Marlington WV rally, Two wheels only in GA, Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in NC. He was an avid Motorcycle rider and an extremely interesting person.

As I said Jim was a true friend and would do anything he could to help. After my deer strike years ago he drove down to Virginia to pick up and transport my wrecked Concours back to PA. He then visited me many times during my recovery and helped me rebuild not only my Concours but also helped me get my gl650 up and running. He was a true friend and I will miss him.

I was informed of his passing by Sam Bateman today. Sam was worried about Jim because he had not been returning calls which was unusual. Sam called the New Brunswick NJ police who informed him that Jim had been found deceased in his home. A brother claimed Jims body and it was cremated December 15.

As we said about Jim, “Jim is Jim”. An intelligent man and a true friend, who could be annoying at times. I am glad I knew him. RIP

· Registered
383 Posts
It is with great sadness I am conveying the news that Jim Tidmarsh has passed away.

Jim showed up at many rallies including the very first Amish as well as the Vermont rally and Marlington WV rally, Two wheels only in GA, Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in NC. He was an avid Motorcycle rider and an extremely interesting person.

As I said Jim was a true friend and would do anything he could to help. After my deer strike years ago he drove down to Virginia to pick up and transport my wrecked Concours back to PA. He then visited me many times during my recovery and helped me rebuild not only my Concours but also helped me get my gl650 up and running. He was a true friend and I will miss him.

I was informed of his passing by Sam Bateman today. Sam was worried about Jim because he had not been returning calls which was unusual. Sam called the New Brunswick NJ police who informed him that Jim had been found deceased in his home. A brother claimed Jims body and it was cremated December 15.

As we said about Jim, “Jim is Jim”. An intelligent man and a true friend, who could be annoying at times. I am glad I knew him. RIP
Jim wasn't the easiest person to be friends with. He had his ways, and oftentimes he came across as an arrogant, argumentative person. But he had a good heart. And beneath all that rough exterior he was a very good friend.
And Jim touched more lives and people, in a positive way, than I think he was ever aware of.
He was my friend and I am very sorry that he is gone.

· Registered
2,832 Posts
It is our joint loss and mine personally. Jim was a character for sure, but he was a good man from all I could tell. All the eccentricities of a long time bachelor was a factor I’m sure. He was a long time devoted CX guy, owned multiple turbos and a faithful HTTA member. And a pilot and aircraft owner (a Yankee as I recall). I hope you went easy. Rest In Peace old friend.

· Registered
1979 CX500 Deluxe,1982 GL500, 1983 CX650E.1984 CX650E,2001 ST1100,1998 GL1500/Friendship II sidecar
1,347 Posts
Very sad news indeed,
Jim had a very "quircky" personality and was an extremely interesting person.
He will be sadly missed.
Rest in Peace Jim.

· Registered
182 Posts
Oh no, I have not heard from him since the rally, we usually talk a few times a year.
Agree with all statements about JT. He always added to variety of characters at the Amish and Vermont rallies.
He was a good guy and definitely one of us twisted twin enthusiasts.
RIP JT

· Registered
1,058 Posts
I always enjoyed his company and he liked the rides I led. Once he was about to fill his CX500 up with diesel fuel across Loyalsock Creek from the Forksville Inn when I interrupted him and said, "I don't think I would do that." He looked at the green pump handle then at the pump and was shocked he almost ruined his whole day. . Then on a different ride to Hyner we were heading down towards Snow Shoe from Renovo when the weather was perfect. Cool and low humidity, the kind of day that is rare in August in PA. I had to lend him my rain jacket for an extra layer of warmth. Earlier we were watching the hang gliders at the Hyner lookout and he remarked that he could stay all day watching them. I could have too, but we had to get riding for the next lunch stop. And here is Jim, between a rock and a hard place at the Loyalsock Canyon Vista. August 2013
Jeans Smile Bedrock Wood Formation

R.I.P My friend.
Water Plant Natural landscape Tree Bank

Attachments

· Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,578 Posts
How many in the attached pic are gone now? Two, at least.

· Registered
2,832 Posts
I think four 🥲. But I’m not positive except about me. Dave, Len, Jim and Phil? Please correct me if I am mistaken. I’m guessing there is an HTTA Chapter in Heaven, wonder where they hold their Rallies? I want in, but not this year. 😬

· Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Wasn't there a Mike M, from Pennsylvania who passed a few years back? I think he's in the group on the right.

Reactions: TonyG

· Registered
1983 cx650E
1,048 Posts

Steve, Thanks for posting. I did not make it to last year's rally(2022) and don't know if Jim did or not. I usually call over and talk with a few fellows, but don't recall that he was in attendance.

I don't recall any health issues, but sensed that he might have been hiding some. Many a night at the cabin were closed with a combination of Jim, DaveW, Steve (cobram,) SteveinPa, myself and others passionately dialoguing about this or that topic, sometimes seemingly ad nauseum. Thanks Jim for being part of the eclectic group and for having been you.

Feel free to pm me about any other info, about how you are doing and if your on the road living the dream and how things went.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Wasn't there a Mike M, from Pennsylvania who passed a few years back? I think he's in the group on the right.
Mike Manning from Pittsburgh is seated on the right side of the table, second chair from the camera. This was at the Country Cupboard Restaurant that fell victim to the Covid Plandemic.

· Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The many years I've been on the forum, I wanted to ride with Dave to the Amish Rally. Alas, that opportunity has slipped away. When my girls were small, I couldn't justify that time away from my family. Now that they're older, my commitments are more varied, but more demanding. It's still on my "someday" list.

· Registered
2,832 Posts
JT attended the ‘22 PA rally, but I think he was only there for part of a day, I saw him briefly.
Randall, with those 5 gone, plus Ernie, Gene and others also passed, I think you should push a visit east up on your list. As should others. Many of us are in our 70s now and aging faster than our bikes. 😁. It would be great to see some longtime internet buddies. Just get the same regiment of shots you would for any other third world trip. 😆. Nobody’s ever died attending, tho a few have tried. 🙄

· Registered
3,002 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about JT. He was an eccentric character, but always a welcome one with the group. As I would frequently comment at the Amish Rally and other get-togethers - I have yet to see anyone ride a CX650 Custom balls to the wall like JT did.
He's also surprise you, like the time we were up at Hyners Pass watching people jump off the side of the mountain, and we found out that JT was an avid Hang Glider enthusiast.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

JT with one of his many motorcycles at past Amish Rally.

Reactions: TonyG

· Registered
1,512 Posts
Can't say he wasn't entertaining! We spoke often and he came to visit in PA and Florida. Sure, he was a pia at times, but was just Jim. I don't know anyone who didn't enjoy his company. Sad I won't see him again. See ya my friend.

· Premium Member
12,578 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts