Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably going to end up leaving my air box in because i've heard it's a pain in the ass to do pods on the gl500.

I want to cut the pipes, Will i need to rejet? what would be the negative effects of not rejetting?

·
Registered
979 Posts
whats the problem with pods on a gl? was thinkin bout switchin to them

·
Registered
724 Posts
yes you will need to rejet if you lessen the backpressure on the exhaust system.

the problem with pods on a gl is they don't fit. well i should really qualify that statement.

the emgo/k&n pods are conical shaped with a stainless ring and wire meshing to keep the cotton material in shape. if you attempt to fit them in the carbuerators you will notice the pods rub against each other and the left side hits the verticle section of the frame. i screwed with emgo pods for close to a year trying to get them to stay in place. i ended up breaking them. i just ordered a set of uni pk-92 pods. they are foam and instead of conical they are perfectly cyclindrical so they should clear one another, also the metal substrate is internal so it should have enough cushion to sit around the frame. i havent got them yet but i'll post some pictures once they are installed.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You say you're going to cut the pipes, are you just removing the silencers but keeping the H-box? If so, probably won't need a rejet. Whatever you do, I'd make just one change at a time, ride it a while to see how things look, and then you can think about re-jetting. The only negatives I can think of are if you are extremely lean could cause issues, or you might not get quite as good mpg as you are getting now.

·
Registered
724 Posts
if you lessen the back pressure you lean it out. you could have a failure as simple as not starting without closing the choke, to as serious as a pre-detonation that blows a hole in a piston. its always better to be rich than to be lean. gas is cheap in relation to a bottom end repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.