Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking forward to getting back out in this beautiful weather. I have modified my air intake on my GL650. Best I can describe it as is a large conical mono-pod filter. Basically I have removed the factory airbox, but kept the connection from the carburetors to the airbox. I then put a large air filter where the airbox was, providing a more open look. Here is a link to the style of airfilter: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-8132 I still have the factory H-Box connected to the exhaust system.

Anyways, I had increased the jet size in the carburetors to 80 & 120 with the factory airbox and the bike was running well. With this new setup, the bike cannot get enough fuel to go above 6k rpm. This is my first GL650 and am wondering if you guys have any recommendations on how many sizes I should go up to compensate for the increased airflow.

I will try to post a picture of the setup soon.

·
Registered
24,386 Posts
if you havent changed the exhaust you have not changed the air flow in any significant way

if more cant get out more cant get in basicaly

now what may happen is the slides are not lifting properly due to disrupting the air flow or vacuum sensing

run the bike at high rpm on the road under load (in a safe place) then shut the motor off coast to a safe spot and

pull the plugs and see what they look like and post a picture of them

the bike stock had 78 118 if its a gl650 so you did not change it by much

on a gl650 with no air box and no pods i use 90/130 to start and go up or down after checking how it runs

its more likely that you are not getting the slides lifting fully

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Murray. Hopefully I will have some time to get it out on the road this week and get some pictures of the spark plugs up on here. I'll probably just buy some news ones to use so that the results are more obvious. I know that a lighter color comes from running lean. Can that be caused by the slides not moving properly, or should I be looking for something else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Murray, finally had a chance to take it out on the road. I had an electrical issue that broke my signals and brake light. Once I fixed that I took her out for a ride.
Here is the plug after about a 1 mile ride. When I was riding I tried pulling on the joke when approaching 6k rpm. It was able to go over 6k so I am thinking it is still the jets. Not to mention that I've cleaned the carbs twice and the slides seem to move well.
IMG_0597.jpg
Here is a picture of the setup of the bike. (Wishing the pictures weren't so big and showing all the mistakes :( )
IMG_0594.jpg

Let me know what your thoughts are, I'd like to buy new jets soon and get this running properly. I am thinking about 85/125ish?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Worth noting I don't see any clamp on the forward part of your H-box. Could be significant exhaust leaks from there that aren't audible due to that loud-looking glasspack muffler and that could be affecting your AF ratio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts