Honda CX 500 Forum banner

JDA brake lines?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  DavidfromWisconsin 
#1 ·
Ok, so wanted to get thoughts from you guys to figure out if I have lost my mind or what. So I was working on my rear brake and sense I was having troubles and had old rubber lines I figured I would just replace them all and be done with it. So I went over to JDA enterprises site and over in their brake lines and kits I order the front brake hose kit and the rear brake hose kit.

Today the kits come in and I excitedly open them up to look and first thing that I notice is they seemed bit short. I was at work though so I boxed it back up without thinking too much. Now though I came out and looked at my bike and at the lines. The turbo has dual disk in the front, so it has one short line down to a split that then has two lines going to caliper on each side. Well my bag for the "front hose kit" has two lines in it, not three. What I do have though is a bag labeled as "rear" brake line and it looks like a perfect fit for the master down to the split.

So that leaves me wondering where in the world the nice long hose for the rear brake is though. Am I crazy or am I missing a hose?

#2 ·
So I just made a call and found out something interesting. It seems JDA was bought by another company. The guy on the phone was saying they are just a hot rod shop. Apparently the bike lines are hold over from old owner but the new guys know nothing about bikes. He was really nice and wanting to help make sure everything gets straightened out.

#3 ·
Seems I recall someone else having some kind of issue with them a while back. This is first I've heard of a new ownership, however. And from what you say, we may have to remove them from our recommended sites.

One thought though. Would the JDA spec sheets for the CX's that hold our dimensions not be a part of selling the business? I don't know if JDA had all our variants spec sheets, but I think they had most of them.

#4 ·
Did you get a new banjo bolt that will hold two lines.It eliminates the stock splitter by bolting both lines directly to the master cylinder with a double banjo bolt and directly routing down to each caliper. This style kit provides a stiffer feel at the lever and allows for cleaner routing.

#5 ·
Did you get a new banjo bolt that will hold two lines.It eliminates the stock splitter by bolting both lines directly to the master cylinder with a double banjo bolt and directly routing down to each caliper. This style kit provides a stiffer feel at the lever and allows for cleaner routing.
I didn't get any bolts and that as it turns out was an issue. Once I dug in and figured things out I found the front line kit did have three lines in it, the way they were in the pack it looked like two until I got it open and spread out. So I tore out the stock lines and was going to use the stock splitter. The JDA lines though the fittings on the ends are maybe a millimeter thinner than the old ones. Small enough of a difference it is hard to see till you hold them side by side, but big enough that my bolts now bottom out instead of tightening down on the fitting.

So now my front brakes are in peaces all over my work area until I can figure out what I want to do about the bolts. I also have to call the guy back today to try and figure out what happened to the back brake line. He was in a rush yesterday because I caught him half hour before closing time. Today I will try and get more details and see if they plan on staying in the bike business or not.

#6 ·
Mention to him that JDA has been a recommended supplier for our brake lines for well over a decade, and we have many folks who were very happy with the product and service. We were, at one point I believe, offered a discount from Craig (JDA) if we mentioned the forum.

#10 ·
So I just spoke with the parts guy again. JDA was apparently bought by BRE Rods & Classics, he said it happened 3 or 4 years ago. They do still carry the bike lines, but they are a hotrod shop and no one there knows anything about bikes. The bike lines are apparently made somewhere else and then they just stock them. Guy I was talking to has been very helpful and is researching the bike to try and find the right line for me. So they will work with you, but it is clear that bikes are pretty low on their priority list.

So I guess that is just something to take into account. Sounds like they ship good number of lines without any problems, but they are just just a middle man that knows nothing about the bikes if you do have an issue.

#7 ·
They should have supplied enough crush washers so that you can double them up so that the bolts do not bottom.
Put a washer on each side of the hose end and it should solve the problem.
That is what I had to do with mine to get a tight seal.

#12 ·
Alright, Just got off another call. Sounds like they might have gotten it worked out. They are sending me one they found to make sure it is right.

Was also impressed, he was really wanting to make sure things were right. At first he wasn't able to find it and was going to have me ship him the old line from the bike so they could get the dimensions and get it right. So after dealing with them I would say they are still a good source, if something is wrong they will work with you to get it right.

#13 · (Edited)
JDA History

I read this posting and I had to step in and tell you a story. I was the first person to convince Craig Raudman to make motorcycle brake lines. I don't even remember how many years ago that was. I got the first set of GL650I brake lines made by Craig. He said that he would never make a set of brake lines for any vehicle that was on the street that was not DOT approved. I had told him I would send him an old set of brake lines so he could see if he could make them. Any swivel heads used on brake line cannot be DOT approved. He also insisted on using only the proper angled heads so there would be a perfect fit and he made sure that the two ends of the lines matched the twist of the original lines so there would be no twisting of the line needed. They still remain that way to this day.

He did make the lines with one minor problem. While the ID if the brake lines and the ends were identical no one was making the ends as thick as the original Honda lines. He hunted down suitable heads and made the braided lines we use today. That caused a minor problem. Honda had no consistency with how deep they cut the threads on the spiltter and after I ordered several sets it became apparent that since there were no heads for the brake lines as thick as the originals, he started adding extra washers. I have never had a leak on any lines I have installed through the years by adding washers, when Honda didn't drill and tap deep enough.

Some of you probably don't know that Craig Raudman was a NASCAR race car driver at one time. When he retired from that he started making quality brake lines for the NASCAR racers. That didn't give him enough profit to stay in business though so he branched out and started making DOT approved lines for cars. When I did a search looking for DOT approved brake lines way back when, the first person who was willing to try and make lines for the GL650I I was riding at the time was Craig. He did insist that they be DOT approved or he wouldn't do it. He got the GL650I lines from my bike and things grew from there. People who own CXs & GLs often do own other bikes also. He would make DOT lines for any bike he could find the proper fittings for to meet DOT approval. There are a lot of fitting companies that have exclusive contracts with some of the manufacturers which meant he couldn't get all the ends for all the bikes out there. I don't know if the current owners will do that.

A few years ago Craig was offered a new job as a Crew Chief for a NASCAR team. His heart had been in NASCAR and he took the job and is still doing it. Shortly after accepting the job he called me and told me he was selling JDA and that he assured me the person he sold it to would continue to make motorcycle brake lines. That was the second owner of JDA. He was still making the lines for the bikes. The present owner is the third owner of JDA and it is a sideline for them with the motorcycle brake lines, as with most other lines are for custom cars, but they really do that also as a side line, as they really are a custom car shop ... but they still sell DOT approved lines and I am still buying them. I don't know if they will be taking on any more motorcycle lines then the ones they are currently making, but whomever is making lines now for them is doing a great job. I hope they keep JDA going to keep all of use happy.

So, if whoever answers that phone when you call for brake lines doesn't know what you are talking about, ask for the owner, as he knows about the JDA lines. It may take a while before everyone who works there knows they sell JDA lines and own JDA, so be persistent. Also, be aware that when I set up brake lines with JDA and Craig so many years ago that the three piece sets originally cost $179 per set. Now it is $100 cheaper and still the same quality. I will keep buying those lines as long as they make them.

This next fact is very important ... you should also be aware that if you are running none DOT approved lines and are in an accident and your insurance company finds out, they have the legal right not to pay your claim. Now most insurance companies won't check the bike that carefully, but do you really want to take the chance??? I would really like it if this little story and be put somewhere where everyone can read it, but that is up to the administrators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.