Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys - as many of you know I put together an info site a while back (cx500info.com) that has morphed into the current one here. I've asked the local Super Moderator for permission to have a thread where I share the latest articles and featured builds that are on the site and got the OK, so here it is.

Feel free to suggest articles or how-to's in here as well :)

Popular pages:

CX500 Master Build List
Stator Test Page

Featured Builds (most owners are forum members here):

Cafe Fighter
Canadian Cafe Racer
Carolina Street Tracker
Eve
GL650 Cafe Racer
The Major's Machine

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just about finished the triple/quadruple bypass parts list page... this is something I've been trying to get done for literally years and only found the time to do it recently. Much link checking to do and quite a few links still to add... if anyone notices an error or broken link please let me know.

Triple or Quadruple Bypass Parts List

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Beaut, thanks. I'll update that now.

Updated the copper washer suppliers. Quite a few more need PZ/BB/DS links added, I'll hopefully complete the lot tomorrow. Keen to hear any more corrections, with all of the part numbers and links I've been staring at I'm sure I've mixed something up somewhere along the line...

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I was searching for how many CXs had been made and found this post on the old forums;

CX/GL VIN Trivia - Honda CX500 & GL500 Forum

...and couldn't figure out how those figures were arrived at, though it did link me to here:

Honda CX500 Serial Registry - Mica Peak

So I went through and used the existing serial data I have per year model and correlated it with the highest serial posted there, and came up with this:

How many CX500s were made?

If anyone has a higher serial than one listed there, please let me know! I haven't got anything for the 400s sold in Japan/Europe/etc. but it looks as though the ~300,000 produced reported in 1984 might actually not be far off based on the numbers so far (and assuming those numbers are incomplete).

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hi JC.....you're welcome, thanks for doing such nice work....

Partzilla has many of the other related parts on that schematic also, including the copper washers at only $ .77 each. Just scroll down the parts list.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi JC, Was looking at your 'How many' page. My 1982 Shadow has a serial number of CX500 - 2402611 which is 83 higher than the one listed. Rego paper says 1983 so maybe one of the last?!

Cheers Keith

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi JC, Was looking at your 'How many' page. My 1982 Shadow has a serial number of CX500 - 2402611 which is 83 higher than the one listed. Rego paper says 1983 so maybe one of the last?!

Cheers Keith
Thanks Keith - I'll update that now!

Did a little writeup on the starter motor mod reasons.

Did one Joe Hovel style - need a few more photos to make the process clearer, but most of it's up here.

Added two more builds to the list: RGK Street Trail and Auto Fabrica Type 8.

I also collated the part numbers for the various coolant overflow bottles onto one page, and will work on getting photos/dimensions/etc. up on that same page.

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Added a CX650C chopper with a 45-degree rake to the featured builds - not a lot of information on it but there's a few fairly clear photos.

Added three other bikes to the build list - we're only a couple away from having 100 listed there.

Added the water collar 90701-415-000 dimensions.

Put down the part numbers for the different water pump covers and water pipes - working on taking the photos to add to that page.

At the moment I'm doing a quad bypass and this time I'm trying to take photos throughout the entire process to flesh out the triple/quadruple bypass pages. Very, very much a work in progress but I'm at the reassembly stage and have documented everything up to this point so fingers crossed I have time to do so for the rest!

On that note one article that's finished is the removing the water pump cover part.

As always, feedback welcomed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Today's featured build is "The Gentleman's Cafe":

LINK

Nice work - CBR1000RR front end (typo'd in the URL...), monoshock rear, 2-1 exhaust, custom seat, disc rear brake and more.
The article in tbe link states tgat tge next project he's working on mates tge comstar wheel to tge cbr1000 front end. IMO, tgat is tge only way to go. Having mismatching wheels detracts from tge otger positives. I personally don't care for tge color scheme in this bike, or some other aspects, but the cvr rear brake and rear monoshock looks ok.

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been asked this a few times and finally got around to doing the screenshots of it - here's how I measure driveshaft angles.

Murray's pre-production automatic tensioner rebuild kit arrived - here's the install.

I updated the Triple or Quadruple Bypass Parts List with some updated links and corrected one error.

I had one of each of the designs of automatic cam chain tensioners on hand so I got a photo of one next to the other showing the difference in hole locations.

I went through the various parts fiches and added the non-GL TI motors to the camshaft part numbers list.

On a technical note, I've been really busy this week adding a content delivery network (well, a CDN of sorts) to improve website performance for UK, Canadian and US visitors in particular. The site visitors come from:

39.82% USA
13.04% Australia
10.0% UK
9.17% Canada
%rest - varies hugely

...and of those the Australians get by far the best site performance due to everything being hosted in Sydney. Adding a CDN to the mix means that the website content is cached in the UK, Europe, Canada, the US and elsewhere - so that most of the site requests go to a server located in your country and your connection doesn't have to trek all the way down under every time you load a page. So far in testing from a test server in Canada page load times have gone from 6 seconds to 3.2.

The point of all this is that there's a chance that you might get 404 error pages or blank white pages while the settings are being tweaked - so please let me know if the website does anything weird. We'll be testing it from here as much as possible, but I'd still very much like to know about any issues anybody encounters.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts