Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a JIS screwdriver that is actually an impact screwdriver. If you hammer on the end it turns the driver slightly to unscrew stubborn screws. It's great to own, and works great on stubborn Phillips screws as well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
+1 on the Vessel impacta. I used it on the screws for the carbs that were already cammed out since the PO obviously used a regular phillips on them and buggered them up. Works great!

Impacta.JPG

·
Registered
664 Posts
Another +1 for the Vessel Impacta. The JIS driver works better on Phillips screws than a Phillips screwdriver does. I don't think a Phillips is needed in any motorcycle mechanics toolbox. JIS drivers are all that is needed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Totally agree!
But JIS screwdrivers were issued to all of us when I started at the local Honda dealer in 1971.
Why is that still being discussed 49 years later?????
Philips Head screwdrivers were the destroyers of all cross-head screws with the punched in dot on the head since year dot.....I think all Japanese manufacturers started using JIS about 1970.....initially to avoid license fees to the holder of the Philips patents, then to improve on it by not allowing the screwdrivers to cam out.....

·
Super Moderator
13,728 Posts
The majority of us never worked for for Honda dealers (or any other bike shops for that matter) so we never learned about JIS screwdrivers until we heard about them on forums like this. I wish I had heard of them 20 years earlier when the engines of my bikes were held together with JIS screws, not that I would have been able to actually buy a set but at least I might have known why I had problems using Phillips drivers.

Old guy story: I got my first job in the speaker industry in '76, just after the company that hired me signed their first contract to make speakers for a Japanese company. As was standard in Canada they had sent samples assembled with Phillips screws to Japan, accompanied by the CEO. Of course, the Japanese wanted to open the samples for evaluation but they had never seen screws with square sockets so they had to grind down screwdrivers to fit. From what I was told the only change they required was to replace the Robertson screws with Phillips ones (no mention of a special Japanese version).
I'm sure they must have known the difference between Phillips and JIS but they were probably practical enough to understand that we would have had to import all of the screws & drivers (= higher cost per speaker) and very very few end users would ever know the difference.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts