Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, started this CX build just about a year ago & thought I would start posting my progress on here.

I've always wanted to build a motorcycle & became obsessed with the CX after learning about its unique engine layout. The first CX (1980) was given to me by a buddy for helping him move some equipment in his shop. The second one (1979) I bought from a bike shop that was closing down for $50.

How they arrived at my apartment. 1980 on the left & 1979 on the right.

A little Photoshop of what I wanted this bike to end up looking like when I first got them.

I wanted to build some parts for this in CAD. I had access to a 3D scanner at the time so I decided to scan the 1980.

Unfortunately both of the engines were seized real bad so I got another engine block on Ebay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like your design. I'm going to fab a front fender like the one you show. Are you planning to use 3D printing to create any of your parts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the 1980 fully 3D scanned & into Fusion 360. I scanned the components that needed more detail individually (gas tank, engine, triple tree, & swingarm).

Had to do a TON of cleanup on the full bike scan because of all of the small details (wire, hoses & such). I had never used Fusion 360 for 3D scan clean up before but it actually has some really good 3D scan manipulation tools. The smaller scans like the tank actually came out really nice.

I used those 3D scans to build some parts like the rear frame secion, a new brake stay, modernized food pegs, & a new coolant reservoir mount. The exhaust inspired by a Honda CL350. I also designed a new tail section & shock mounts. Most of the colors here are placeholders for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like your design. I'm going to fab a front fender like the one you show. Are you planning to use 3D printing to create any of your parts?
Thanks! I've made some 3D printed parts for small pieces to be used as spacers or bushings but nothing too crazy. I did use tons of 3D printed parts as fixturing for the exhaust I have build though. Ill post about that once I get the pictures together.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
I like your design. I'm going to fab a front fender like the one you show.
Keep in mind that if this bike is ridden off road, that fender design will fill the radiator with dirt and gravel. You'll need either the back half of the fender, or a really stout radiator screen (= reduced airflow.)

Randall

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep in mind that if this bike is ridden off road, that fender design will fill the radiator with dirt and gravel. You'll need either the back half of the fender, or a really stout radiator screen (= reduced airflow.)

Randall
Good point. I'll probably be keeping the back half of the fender for this project.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
On my AdventureWing project, I'm hoping to use the louvered guards from my CR125R donor's twin radiators on the stock GL500 (or maybe GL650) radiator, boosted by an electric fan upgrade. This would be in addition to either the high CR125R fender, or a low fender a la Africa Twin. This may be a challenge with the USD forks. I haven't researched it very thoroughly yet.

Randall

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted my handle bar clamps to look more like the older hondas so I modified the stock handle bar clamp to remove the fuse panel area.

Used a bandsaw to chop the two sides off & cleaned them up on the belt sander. Came out looking much better than expected! As you can see the original part was really beat up from sitting in the sun for so long!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to get rid of the bulky stock pegs that come on these bikes. I saw that BCCR sells some pegs but I wanted pegs that still pivoted.

I used the 3D scan data I got to design some peg mounts. A small section of tubing gets welded to the back of the peg mounts to fit in the frame alignment tube.

These mounts use some cheap kawasaki pegs that I found on amazon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Frame mods! Chopping off the whole tail section of the CX frame to mount a hoop of my own design.

Used my grinder to cut off the lower tubes near the welds & ground off the welds on the top tubes. The upper tubes actually came off easier than expected. Unfortunately one of the engine mounting points goes through these two tubes so I will need to weld a bolt spacer back in after i'm done with the frame mods.

More 3d scan use! Designed a tube frame to replace the old tail section. Used the same shock mount locations. I don't have a good way to bend tubing so I designed this to use a cafe racer tail hoop I found on ebay.

Tubes cut & tacked! Used 1" x 14 ga tubing for this.

Here it is all welded up. Next step, shock mounts.

I cut out the shock mounts from the old frame to weld them into my new shock mount brackets. The rear hole there will be used as an indicator mount in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts