Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago I noticed a few drops of oil on the ground and had a look. I cleaned off the build up under the bike to make sure I knew where it was coming from. I have included two pictures. Im pretty sure Im going to have to replace the gasket but I dont know what it is called or where to get it. I have tried looking for a diagram just for the gaskets but cant find one. Could someone point me in the right direction for where to buy this and what the gasket is actually called. Also, Im pretty sure the answer is yes, but will I have to pull the entire engine out to replace it, or is there any other way to fix the leak? Thanks for all the insight so far and I look forward to more of it.

Cody

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So a few weeks ago I noticed a few drops of oil on the ground and had a look. I cleaned off the build up under the bike to make sure I knew where it was coming from. I have included two pictures. Im pretty sure Im going to have to replace the gasket but I dont know what it is called or where to get it. I have tried looking for a diagram just for the gaskets but cant find one. Could someone point me in the right direction for where to buy this and what the gasket is actually called. Also, Im pretty sure the answer is yes, but will I have to pull the entire engine out to replace it, or is there any other way to fix the leak? Thanks for all the insight so far and I look forward to more of it.

Cody

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Made a mess of the first reply - sorry.

It could be coming from the gear lever seal - I would clean up the area again - and do the talcum powder trick to find the source..

If it is the main rear gasket - then engine out to replace it - or put some RTV over it until you feel like doing it..

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
It looks to me like it begins on that bolt outcrop, and it might be a crack in that from over tightening that bolt. JB Weld would be your friend in this case. It doesn't look like it is coming from your rear engine gasket.

I had a leak from the rear engine gasket on the opposite side a few years back and JB'd it instead of replacing the whole gasket (which is an engine out deal) It has held beautifully for several years, and the JB has the same color as the case, so aesthetics are not a problem.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Clean it all up and start fresh.

First thought without looking at the engine I would say shift lever. Followed by the Starter O-ring and third would be the rear cover gasket. The first two only cost a total of $10 max. The third is more complicated.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Also could be coming from the water pump weep hole meaning the mechanical seal. As mentioned above, clean that stuff off

(see engine cleaning post in this forum) then run the engine up to temp while idling and watch for where it's coming from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.