Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have got the 1980 500CXD running pretty good. I think the carbs could use a little syncing but not much. When shifting it seems a little hard. Sometimes it doesn't seem to go into second gear easily. Once I get rolling the shifting tends to get better. Recently changed oil but the level is good. Just wondering if I should throw a new clutch in an springs or is it normal for it to shift a little bit hard. Thanks....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Oops! You're in the turbo forum.
In any case, clutch is a good possibility. Make sure it doesn't creep AT ALL when in gear. Could be the oil you're using, too.
My turbo likes Rotella T6 best. It's noisier on plain Rotella 15W40.
When the clutch basket gets worn, the grooves that wear into the basket fingers make the clutch get squirrely. A clutch rebuild and filing the grooves off might help.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The CX's respond well to preloading the shift lever before pulling the clutch and making the shift. Back off throttle a little right before shifting to take some load off the gears. Also check for too much free play in the clutch cable that is keeping it from fully actuating. You may not need to service the clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts