Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi D-fresh,
Won't leave home without them, my legs cramp up on must bikes, me have 36 inch inseam. The pegs are commercail but the bracket was home made. Okay to rest your feet on but don't use them to stand on, probably break the luggs off the case. Note make sure your pegs will fold up for going around a sharp corner.
20180507_215717.jpg

Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Super Moderator
14,575 Posts
Those lugs are surprisingly strong. I bolt the subframe that provides the lower front mount for the sidecar to them...

Murray recommends being careful about what you attach to them because he has seen several crankcases broken as a result of bikes calling over with non-folding pegs attached there.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As Bob and Murray have pointed out ,dont install non folding pegs . Have touched the outside of my foot on the pavement going on to the highway once . A solid peg will upset the bike in a corner, if you lean over to far.
Should not have to say this ,but I don't use the highway pegs on twisty roads , be safe

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Like the Gl500 emblem better than the Cx, mounts right to the engine without a extra bracket. Ok it's now a sleeper(not really) View attachment 203301
I notice a big difference. Have you noticed the difference in sound? The fan when it kicks in? My 650 makes, the best I can describe it, a pleasant "chirping" sound when I accelerate.
Did you make the bar for the highway pegs? That looks like the position I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Hi D-fresh,
Won't leave home without them, my legs cramp up on must bikes, me have 36 inch inseam. The pegs are commercail but the bracket was home made. Okay to rest your feet on but don't use them to stand on, probably break the luggs off the case. Note make sure your pegs will fold up for going around a sharp corner. View attachment 203313
OOps! I see you answered already. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Or changing registation to match.
Yes I would do that if I were you. When you sell the bike the process most likely grinds to a halt when VIN numbers don't "match". If you never sell it then your heirs will appreciate you "fixed" the VIN
Here in Minnesota, you register the bike and engine number.
In California the registration and title have both the engine number and the frame number. I don't know if that's the case in British Columbia where Gerard is located.

·
Super Moderator
14,575 Posts
It all depends on whether BC will allow you to register a GL500 VIN as a 650 (not to mention whether the insurance will cover it).
On the other hand, if there is nothing on it to say it isn't a 500 you aren't likely to ever have a problem with the paperwork.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Only number on reggy is the Vin number ,so long as I stay in the same engine size range ie 400 to 750 insurance company don't care. Most of the police here only care that your bike or car is safe and not stolen. Have never had the vin number checked , let alone the engine size. Not planning on selling bike after swapping the engine so yeah my Son inlaw will have to deal with it. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
14,575 Posts
Yep. I don't know about ICBC but the insurance companies here will deny coverage if you are involved in an accident and the adjuster has reason to think a vehicle has been substantially modified from original specification without notifying them. And if you do tell them they will put it in the high risk category and charge you several times what they would normally.
But if the engine doesn't say it isn't what they expect it to be there is virtually no chance that the adjuster will ever notice...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am about my 650 into a gl500i frame!! I'm so excited to get it running!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I love it!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi D-fresh,
Won't leave home without them, my legs cramp up on must bikes, me have 36 inch inseam. The pegs are commercail but the bracket was home made. Okay to rest your feet on but don't use them to stand on, probably break the luggs off the case. Note make sure your pegs will fold up for going around a sharp corner.
Thanks for the reply and the pic Gerard!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have brought two bikes into BC in as many years. ICBC has to verify that the VIN on the bike matches the VIN on the ownership - the insurance place will do a visual inspection of the bike to confirm, go out to the bike to view. After this there is no checking by ICBC. Motorcycles brought into BC do not have to have a safety check whereas cars/trucks, etc do.

Reactions: Gerard

·
Super Moderator
14,575 Posts
Here they don't even do a visual check as long as it is licensed (it has to have a safety inspection certificate before you can license it in your name but after that nothing until it changes hands again). But if you mention that the engine is from a different model (even if it is a bolt in fit) they consider ti substantially modified and thus high risk.
The only time they actually look at it is if you are involved in an accident when an adjuster will examine it to determine the damages &/or value and since it is in the insurance company's best interest to pay out as little as possible they look for any excuse to deny coverage (including things like the model on the engine not matching the model on the ownership).

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi Guy's and Gal's
A big thank you to Nolimitz for sending me a excellent condition left sidecover, and it's the correct color too!!!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts