Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got my Cx650e engine into my 81 Gl500i big hoorah! Makes bike feel totally differant, much improved performance on the highway. Now to attach a picture.
IMG_2805.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Great! I wanted to get my GL650 for touring. You have a combination of the softer, more comfy suspension combined the horsies and torque of the 650 engine. Please give us an extended review after you get some miles on her. I'd like to find a spare 650 engine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It's like dropping a big block into a car that had a small block... :LOL:

Reactions: Gerard and CXPHREAK

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got about 300 kilometers on the engine install so far , only glich take side covers off before one does a speed test. Luckly found it in the middle of the hiway in the grass ,no problem doing the Ton as the Brits would say. Replaced the gromets with the best used ones I have from the parts bin. Be happy

·
Registered
735 Posts
Definitely looks like a touring machine!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bike looks good also envious of that spacious workshop/garage:)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, shop has a lot of room, just got to learn to say no to storing stuff for other people.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Thanks, shop has a lot of room, just got to learn to say no to storing stuff for other people.
I need to clear out my shop. I have room for 2 more bikes or a bike with sidecar if I do! ;) And still have room to make pottery. Space is insulated and only heated in the winter when I am out there. Makes it easier for a ride in the winter when the roads are clear.

Reactions: Gerard

·
Registered
350 Posts
yes....but i'd hope any longterm mechanical tenants and the owners reciprocate with an appropriate beverage or similar

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
If you want it to be a real sleeper (or to avoid potential insurance problems if involved in an accident) you can remove the nameplates on the engine and install GL500 valve covers (I think the earlier ones look better anyway).

BTW: They don't sell the grommets for these bikes anymore but I understand one of the grommet kits for Honda sells for either GL1000 or GL1100 (can't remember which off hand) has the ones you need.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Guys, same insurance rate between the two engines so doesn't matter , over 750 would cost more. If I want speed I will take the Eurosport out instead.

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
Yeah, but if you have replaced the engine with one from a different model they can call it modified and refuse to cover you. Also, if a cop stops you and your ownership says 500 but the bike says 650.....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess i'm switching plates or removing it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or changing registation to match.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
FWIW, when I got Eccles I wanted to put a coat of paint on the engine before the first winter. When I unscrewed the plates an ounce or so of smelly, viscous green liquid with floaties in it came out. After that I advise anyone with a 650 to clean behind the plates and make sure they can drain.
Since I wasn't concerned about having the plates they went into the box of logos &c and I added a dab of silicone to the screw holes to keep water out. The current (GL500) engine didn't have the plates when I got it so I did the same.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like the Gl500 emblem better than the Cx, mounts right to the engine without a extra bracket. Ok it's now a sleeper(not really)
IMG_2827.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
I see you have cruising/forward pegs. How do you like those and are they home brew or commercially produced?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts