Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i did a electric fan convertion at first i was useing the 75 deg n/o termo switch but the temp gauge got all the way over to the red before the fan would kick on (i thought it was overheating maybe not?) i dont know, after the fact i thought it was over heating i took the radiator cap off just to see if it would spew but it didnt there was a little steam coming out but it didnt really seem that hot. then today i wired the fan up to come on all the time took it for a ride and seen the temp gauge climb again so i turned around and brought it home i guess my question is can my temp gauge be wrong? i reinstalled the tack just for this convertion to see if it overheated i just found the right wire and reconected it yellow wire to a ing and the green/blue wire to gauge from sender is it possible its wrong im scared to keep riding bike if it really is overheating i dont want to damage it the bike runs great but it cound smell a little hot though but if it was it would spew everywhere

·
Registered
967 Posts
A couple of checks you should do...

1) You need to confirm that you have 7V from the voltage regulator. This can be measured with a voltmeter if you have one, if not they are pretty inexpensive from like harbor freight. You measure this from the lead going to the sending unit, wiht the ignition in the on position. If you don't have 7V, your voltage regulator is bad, and your temp gauge will act funny.

2) Another test is to prove the actual temperature gauge is working properly, is to run a jumper from the lead that goes to the sender to a solid 'ground' (I use the negative terminal on the battery) and then turn the ignition key to on as though you were going to start the bike. The gauge should sweep from left all the way over to the right in about 2 to 3 seconds.

To me it sounds like you may actually be overheating though...the above are just some good diagnostics to eliminate a couple possibilities of false positives. There are quite a few who have done the cooling fan Mod, they will certainly be able to take you down a few more paths.

A thermal/infrared gun will be a great way to confirm some engine and radiator temps though...you can either borrow one or pick one up relatively cheaply from a store like Sears. Right above the intakes on the heads, I have gotten in the habit of checking my temps after each ride, and they are somewhere between 175 & 185 degrees F.

Keep us posted!

[Edit] It would be helpful for you to update your profile info with the year, make & model of your bike...this will help everyone, help you!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I will do so the voltage reg is the box on the side of the bike next to the starter Solenoid right and check to see if the wire going to the gauge has 7v correct I will do guys thinks a lot!! Also I thought it could be the termostat but I checked it in a pot of boiling water and it worked the radiator is a new/used one in very good shape I bought from eBay and it did have flow so I wouldnt think it would be them! It's so crazy cause everything was fine until my damn fan hit the old radiator and put a hole in it man lol

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
so the voltage reg is the box on the side of the bike next to the starter Solenoid right

Uhh.... dont think so

You may be confusing it with the main RR?

I think the customs have the 7V reg mounted on the back of the tacho

or in that region anyway

Wherever its mounted

what I do is open the connector on the green/blue cable just behind the thermosat housing and measure the voltage on the wire from the gauge with igntion on

·
Registered
967 Posts
Please confirm the year, make and model of your bike!

The voltage regulator on my 79 is located to the left of the headlight, by the left forktube...little plastic box 5/8 wide by 1.75 long by 2" deep? its held to the bike inside a little rubber box. The wiring goes inside of the headlight case...I found with mine initally I had a bad ground connection, soldered & wire nutted the connections after building a new voltage "REG"ulator.

Voltage Regulator Pics & Info

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I think that's my prob I found a wire diagram on Internet I'm way off that's why the temp gauge is doing that I'm going to have to rewire it all back to see if it is overheating I really don't think it is if it was it would have spewed all over the place when I popped off the cap

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The 7v regulator is about 2x.75x1.25 inches and has 3 wires from it. Black (12v) feed, green ground, yellow (7v) output. The yellow goes into the tach to the temp gauge. The green blue comes from the gauge to the sender. If you have eliminated the 7v regulator and are feeding the gauge with 12v then you will get full meter readings, into the red. The 7v regulator can be found by following the yellow wire if it is still present. It may be hanging in a rubber hanger behind the speedo/tach or inside the headlight housing.

You need to put the regulator back in the circuit.

·
Registered
361 Posts
ok i did a electric fan convertion at first i was useing the 75 deg n/o termo switch but the temp gauge got all the way over to the red before the fan would kick on (i thought it was overheating maybe not?) i dont know, after the fact i thought it was over heating i took the radiator cap off just to see if it would spew but it didnt there was a little steam coming out but it didnt really seem that hot. then today i wired the fan up to come on all the time took it for a ride and seen the temp gauge climb again so i turned around and brought it home i guess my question is can my temp gauge be wrong? i reinstalled the tack just for this convertion to see if it overheated i just found the right wire and reconected it yellow wire to a ing and the green/blue wire to gauge from sender is it possible its wrong im scared to keep riding bike if it really is overheating i dont want to damage it the bike runs great but it cound smell a little hot though but if it was it would spew everywhere

i just posted this same reply......retrace the wireing from behind the gauges through the frame near the headlight. One little bare spot a wire touching the frame will cause the gauge to peg....one I found the miniscule short touching the frame, I had a temp guage again. At least rule this out before loosing more hair!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.