Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to install my Vetter radio/speaker pod on my fairing, and was wondering if anyone has any idea if there is a constant "HOT" wire from the battery running through the fairing? Or, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Hondaline fairing on the GL's? I am needing a constant hot wire in order to keep radio stations programmed. I really could check it myself, but the PO I bought the fairing from had wired in another radio at one time, and the wiring is a nightmare in there. Also, if I can't find one, would it be advisable to split off from the wiring going to the ignition inside the black box? Or, should I just run a pair of wires from the battery - I'm also adding multiple power outlets for phone and GPS. I plan on running all of this from a fuse box mounted inside the fairing - all I will have to do is remove the lower left panel of the fairing to get to the fuses. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.

Also, if anyone else has a radio/speaker pod installed, can you tell me how it was mounted? Mine had no brackets - may need to customize brackets.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Not sure, But I think the only hot wire is going to be one you install directly from the battery. or before the ignition switch I recall There is a spare ground next to the flasher relay on the right side and maybe another acc circuit under the saddle. In that bikes these were made when most radios had a pushbutton mechanical memory, I don't know of any other reason to have a live, unswitched hot wire there. My CX did have a spare unused green wire at the bucket for grounding accs.

I just remembered an Acc Memory holder device I saw in a catalog. A nine volt battery plugged into a cig lighter circuit to keep computer memory in a BMW. That should be an easy mod if you try it.

Pls Pardon me if I'm wrong, I'm dead tired, and not really sure, just throwing another 2cents to the pot today

Edit: Mine had been wrecked by the P.O. The faring was gone, and he left a nest of wires mis routed and mis connected. I ended up, re doing the whole thing... probably had fifteen ft of faring wires to toss when I was done. I may still have the mounts which he left on for some reason? I think he may have started to fix it, got POd with electrical confusion... and parked it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nolavox, if you do still have the brackets, I might be interested in purchasing them from you. I was just thinking of taking angled brackets and painting them black and securing them into the pod and fairing with screws. I do think it would be better to just run new wires from the battery to the fairing, and then into a fuse block. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another reason I was asking for the wiring diagram, if anyone has it, is because my left turn signal is not working, and the headlight only works on high beam.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There are three hot wires in the fairing. Two have in-line fuses near the end of the wires. The constant hot wire in the fairing is the red one. The other two are switched with the ignition and are the black one and the brown with white stripe. The switched ones were probbably for the radio lights and the power amplifier. I hooked a cigarette lighter plug to the red wire and used the green wire in the fairing for the ground. This works good for charging a cell phone or powering a GPS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.