Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Is the CX500 engine very heavy? I mean, is it possible to take it out alone, using a suitable hydraulic car jack underneath? Of course radiator out first..

Any tips?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
368 Posts
You can drop the engine and radiator assembly together using a hydraulic jack. Is what I did when I rebuilt my bike. Just keep one hand on the motor once its down so it doesn't fall of the jack.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yea, it's heavy but liftable for one. I'd suggest getting a helper after you get it out to hoist it up on your work surface. I did it alone and had a sore back for some days afterward.

Remove all cables, carbs, exhaust, and radiator. Disconnect drive shaft and electrics.

You don't need a jack. As suggested from others I used a milk crate that fit underneath the engine after removing the exhaust. Take out rear engine hanger bolts first then the engine swings down on the crate. Then remove the front hanger and slide the crate carrying the engine away from the frame. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
no,they are fine for one person,i can take out and put back in on my own`no options+

do a.... abes a trick.....put the crash bars back on.it makes it really easy

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I just pulled mine out about a week ago. Take off radiator, crash bars, carb connections, exhaust (I took the exhaust off in one piece) and the wiring.

Remove the rear engine mount bolts with a milk crate underneath the engine then the front ones and it will drop right down onto the milk crate.

I put my crash bars back on after I got the engine out as was suggested and then I WAS able to lift it by myself into the back of my Suburban.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Any tips?

I'd go on the advice up to the point of actually picking it up to move it or put it on a bench. If you're really young perhaps no big deal but you only have one back.

I'm in my mid 50s and usually have no problems with normal stuff, but almost two years ago I went to move six seemingly harmless boxes of ceramic tile by myself and paid for it dearly the next several months.

Besides that - if you can corral help why not take advantage of it?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm guessing it's in the 200 lb range without the rad on.  A jack definitely helps things, I cut a notch in a milk crate and lifted it up with the jack underneath, that way the engine sits on the crate when you bring it back down.  It can be done without a jack, but putting it back in by yourself is definitely a jack job.  Some on here have made adjustable stands for lifting and lowering, but the milk crate will work fine.  As Marshal said, if you're planning on moving it any distance its probably best to get a friend to help.  I nearly killed myself (not really, but I hurt my back bad enough to stay in bed for a day and a half) when I walked my spare up out of the basement when we moved a year ago.  Maybe I'm just a wimp, but if I need to move it more than a couple feet I get a helper.

As for tips, the best tip of all is go SLOW and make sure all connections are completely disconnected before fully lowering.  I mean it, double and maybe even triple check to make sure no wires or harnesses are in the way or still connected, you don't want to rip anything out or damage any of the plastic connectors.  Put the bolts in marked zip lock bags or even better put them back in the holes on the frame they came out of.  Also, there are 2 nuts for the rear engine mounts that can fall out and roll away if you aren't watching, they fit into the engine block but when you undo the bolts they can fall out.  Be careful with the rear drive bolt, the one that connects the engine with the final drive is hard to find and not made anymore by Honda.  When you unbolt that, push the final drive back toward the rear wheel to give you space, it will move back about an inch or so.  

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I THINK when I go to put mine back in I'm going to just slide the milk crate under the bike with the crash bars on the engine....I'll lift the front up and have the wife slide one bolt thru the front then lift the back and have her slide the BIG rear bolt in (without tightening) then slide the other front one in then the 2 smaller rear bolts....then tighten everything of course.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,454 Posts
I used the jack to move it up and down from the bench.

That was the Maggot engine. I'm too lazy to get the jack out for the parts engines, so I just heft them up and down (though I do keep them on dollies with casters.)

R

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm guessing it's in the 200 lb range without the rad on.
holy cow, i hope it's not 200 lbs!! I can lift the whole engine w/ rad by squatting and slowly lifting, to get it up on the bench or kitchen table LOL. I don't think I can squat lift 200 lbs...maybe closer to 150?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes 200 lbs sounds a bit hefty
. I'm not 50 quite yet so my back is still usable, although after I recently built a wall in our garden out of 10 tons of cement blocks, plus 6 cubic meters of gravel and a mass of earth behind I must admit I should take it easy. But working on motorbikes is more fun than building cement block walls though

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I don't have a scale to weigh it and don't want to break the wifes scale, I'm just going by the fact that our bike's dry weight is nearly 500 lbs.  I would be interested to know exactly how heavy the engine alone is, would give an idea of what changes could be made to lighten the bike.

·
Registered
835 Posts
including packing material/and pallet, they charged me for 230 lbs shipping an engine complete with radiator and all fluids.

·
Registered
639 Posts
A milk crate is definitely the way to go. The first time I pulled a CX500, it was like, "Is is out?" I mean there were no scary moments. I unbolted the exhaust system in one big piece, pulled all the wires off, removed screw from u-joint, removed carbs, pulled the big bolts and that was it. I didn't remove the radiator. It was easy to slide the milk crate with the motor on it. My milk crate was about 1/2 inch too short so I put two thin strips of wood on it to exactly touch the bottom of the motor.

Regarding weight, I'd estimate it at 180 lb (82 kg). As was mentioned, put the crash bars on if you have them as they make moving the motor easy. Here's me and my cute brown helper making an easy job of it.

edit: Do milk crates exist in Europe and are they the same size as in North America? Here they measure 11" high x 13" x 13". Do you have metric milk crates? How does metric milk taste?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts