Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its getting cold obviously and because this bike is so old i can't see getting that much more for it next year when riding season starts than now.

I would like to get 1500 for it, i know thats more than what the internet claims its worth but with all sorts of new bits i think thats worth it considering no messing with anything for at least 2 summers.

But naturally if i list it on CL i'll have to start higher since rarely does anybody ever pay what you are asking for. I'm still selling this for the v star so thats really why i want that much.

Anyway, i also wanted to offer it here first for someone. I'd rather one of us picked it up for how cool it is than someone who will most likely just ride it till it breaks and leave it for dead. But not to deviate to another topic should i just wait a couple months and then sell the CX or just try it now and see what happens. I most likely won't be riding much this winter since i live 30 miles from work and don't have a lot of heavy gear and if i do ride i'll just use the EX500.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
It's not worth selling anything right now but if you want to give it to me I'll find a place for it. It's the end of the buying season. The only thing that really gets bought right now is project bikes.

Another part. I don't know why anyone would ever think of paying $1500 for a CX. Not worth it. $1000 maybe if it's really good but for $1500 it would have to have all the original equipment and be just short of mint.

$1500 for a nice gl maybe but it has to have bags and be an interstate. I've seen a couple really nice cx/gl's for $700 lately.

I could show you a trail of listings on craigslist where people started at $1500 and either gave the bike away or decided to store it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The nice thing about Craig's List is that it doesn't cost you anything to try. Generally, anybody buying a bike this time of year in the north expects to get a bargain. IMO, $1500 is not a bargain price for a CX500. But, like I said, it costs nothing to try and sell it on Craig's, so who knows what might happen?

Of course, there are more people looking in the spring so it often is easier to sell when riding season comes around.

Hope it works out for ya!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know thats a terrible price but i'm trying to get some extra cash. There's really no CX's around here. I've seen a few on the road but its very few in between. I can't get more than $1000 for it i'll just store it with the rest of the collection.

I'd rather it spend the rest of its life stored and ridden a little than practically give it away.

Kinda hard to believe these bikes are worthless. As reliable as they are i would think they would be worth around the 2K range.

I'm also considering throwing the original exhaust back on. The 6K revs on the interstate are rather annoying with straight pipes. It would sound great if i could cruise around 3K but this is no ducati and certainly not a cruiser.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey wayne, whats that BMW you have there, i don't believe i've ever seen it and it looks pretty comfy.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Always best to sell bikes and boats in the spring when people know they can start using them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, and i thought i was ripping people off!

harleys for sale (bargersville)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2010-10-21, 10:09AM EDT

Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 6 harleys for sale and 1 honda . The honda is a 1994 600 shadow with 45237 mi. asking 2800.00 . The harley list is 1 1994 dyna conv. with org. saddle bags 500 mi. on new motor teal in color billet wheels all chromed out asking 8500.00 . Next is a 1995 883 sportster teal in color 7468 mi. like new bike asking 4000.00 . Also a 1999 dyna super glide only 7578 mi. black stock bike asking 7000.00 . And a 2007 dyna wide glide black 5158 miles no it asking 11500.00 . 2005 883 sportster silver 8528 mi. asking 5500.00 .1984 sportster 1000 with a 1200cc kit in it asking 2250.00 317 422 5883

2800 for a '94 VT600 Shadow with 45K ?!??!!?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
2800 for a '94 VT600 Shadow with 45K ?!??!!?

[/quote]

That's the asking price but I have seen them as low as 2200. And has high as $4,000.

The funny thing about the 600 shadow series is the last 10-15 years all have a similar price no matter the miles. You could get a 3 year old one or a 15 year old one for $3000.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats about the same for the suzuki katana's. Seems like all the 99-'06's all have the same price no matter mileage or age.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Buy in the fall, sell in the spring, that's what I say. Those that want the good deals buy at the end of the season (just like you buy snowbard/ski stuff in the spring) So unless you're prepared to give it away cheap...wait til spring. Even then, $1500 could be a bit much.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Unfortunately most Japanese motorcycles don't hold their old age price that well compared with Harleys or over here in the UK old Brit Bikes.There are of course exceptions.I suppose it's to do with the amount that are made/sold and of course false Kudos given to certain bikes/brands.

To the OP I'd sell the one you can get the most money for and keep the CX/GL as they are very economical to run which seems to gain importance every day in these austere times.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I used to know a guy (haven't sen him in ages) that, in addition to having a small farm, got about 50% of his income from buying boats in the late fall, fixing them up during the winter when he didn't have much farming to do then selling them in the spring.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My Harley is worth 19500. I payed 16500. My house is worth exactly what it was worth 16 years ago when I bought it. But even at that price I can't sell it because no one is buying, no matter what the price. The value of an item is the amount that someone is willing to pay for it.

A

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
hey wayne, whats that BMW you have there, i don't believe i've ever seen it and it looks pretty comfy.

It's a K75RT. in BMW speak that means it has a water cooled, in-line, three cylinder 750cc engine. The traditional BMW engines are "R" series which have the opposed twin cylinders. This K-series engine is very smooth and has plenty of power especially for a solo rider with all his gear. The RT is a touring model (stands for something in German which escapes me at the moment).

I like it very much. As I have said on this forum before, it is pretty much the same bike as the GL650 Interstate but 10 years newer and a BMW.

Thanks for asking,

Wayne

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello everybody. Today I bought a '79 CX500C off of Craiglist for $1,350.00 (asking $1500.00). Nice original bike, low miles,lots of sitting time,too early to say much more. This is my 4th CX/GL, I live in Southern Illinois, and am glad to have found this forum. Take care.

·
Registered
125 Posts
All depends on where you live. I never ever ever see a running motorcycle in any condition under $1k here in North Florida. Scooters and parts bikes are normally below $500 but location matters a lot.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Here in the Great White North, Hondas are usually more money than other Japanese bikes of equal style and year.

That is based on reputation for reliability and longevity.

It is not unheard of to find a low miler vintage bike, due to our short riding season.

I was very fortunate to have found my 79 Custom, which sat for 19 years in a barn, it only had 5500km on it.

Because of our solid local economy, there seems to have been a lot of motorbikes purchased recently.

This in turn has put plenty of used bikes on the market. Within a 300km (180mile) radius, there are more than

7000 motorbikes of various styles for sale. I have seen countless decent running rides for less than $800, but have no more space in the garage.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hello everybody. Today I bought a '79 CX500C off of Craiglist for $1,350.00 (asking $1500.00). Nice original bike, low miles,lots of sitting time,too early to say much more. This is my 4th CX/GL, I live in Southern Illinois, and am glad to have found this forum. Take care.

Hello Richard, welcome.

Go ahead and re-post your greeting as a new thread rather than buried here in this one. That way more folks will see it and say "hello".

Also, please update your profile with your location and maybe a picture.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It's odd how it goes sometimes, there's allways a minimum value in an area.

Ages ago around here you could buy running, restorable cars for $100 and fairly nice roadworthy ones for $500, now anything that even moves will fetch $500 easily, fairly clean and decent is $1,000.

Very decent bikes could be found for $100 but not anymore, anything even half decent is $750 regardless of age.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts