Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! Newbie-ish rider here! My dad owns a '78 CX500 and has basically given the bike to me since I've been riding it so often.

My predicament is that I'm in the process of changing the oil -- the first time that I've done it on a motorcycle, and I'm all ready to pop the Fram CH6007 filter on and screw everything in when I realize... crap, both sides look the same (well, there's the filter number and 'MADE IN INDIA' stamp on one side, and a dot that someone must have made with a marker on the other side) -- but basically, they're identical. I wasn't paying attention when I took off the old filter.

So I'm wondering (and worried) about if it's possible to install the filter backwards. It doesn't look like it will make a difference... but that's just my untrained motorcycle mechanic sense talking. I just want to be SURE before I screw everything in, add new oil, and start this puppy up. Heaven forbid, deprive the engine of precious oil and I'll screw the engine up big time. Advice and help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Certainly, with a genuine Honda filter, it doesn't matter which way round the filter is fitted, so I'd guess the same goes for a 'pattern' filter.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,867 Posts
Filter goes in either way , spring and washer and filter order is important . check manual for correct order. cheers Gerard

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,837 Posts
Be sure you don't toss the washer out with the old filter. It usually sticks to the rubber gasket. The spring is crucial for proper filtering. The washer protects the gasket from the spring.

R

Reactions: CXPHREAK
1 - 4 of 4 Posts