Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else keep their bike in the living room for the winter? I keep having people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell em... Can't imagine what they'll say when I tell em I fired it up for a while today to get the white vinegar running through the system to clean that out... Evidently to some it's strange to have bikes in the living room, let alone to tear an engine completely apart (parts bike). Am I the only one who does it? Don't have a garage, shed is full of lawn stuff and what not, guess I'm supposed to let her sit in the snow and freeze...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Does anybody else keep their bike in the living room for the winter? I keep having people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell em... Can't imagine what they'll say when I tell em I fired it up for a while today to get the white vinegar running through the system to clean that out... Evidently to some it's strange to have bikes in the living room, let alone to tear an engine completely apart (parts bike). Am I the only one who does it? Don't have a garage, shed is full of lawn stuff and what not, guess I'm supposed to let her sit in the snow and freeze...
It isn't odd if your not married or are looking for a divorce!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lmao! Nope, don't use the dishwasher, been using the bathtub to be honest... Took care of the radiator cover and the stud type thing the bolts go through in the gas tank and the radiator, along with the bolts and the pipes, which was pretty pointless seeing as how I'm getting the 2-1 kit anyway. Strange thing is, my girl thinks it's cool, had we been together before the snow fell her bike would be in my living room to... I think I found me a keeper!!! Plus there's the fact that I split wood in one of the bedrooms since there's way too much snow outside now. One thing I figured out is that next year I'm putting a big piece of plywood where I'm parking the bike, because when I step near the kickstand the bike moves... It's a learning process lol, also need to make a good ramp so I can ride it in next year instead of having to have a friend help push it in, didn't feel comfortable riding up a 2x4 and not having a place for my feet, and having a guard rail on each side of the steps, that's screaming broken rib and being pinned till a neighbor drives by and sees me, doesn't sound fun to me

·
Registered
810 Posts
Marry her. Please post a pic of your bike in the living room. It would be great to see. Next summer you may as well work on a doggy door of sorts for your entrance. Why not be able to just drive right up your stairs into the house without having to get off and open the door first. AWESOME!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Marry her. Please post a pic of your bike in the living room. It would be great to see. Next summer you may as well work on a doggy door of sorts for your entrance. Why not be able to just drive right up your stairs into the house without having to get off and open the door first. AWESOME!
OMG... did you really just suggest that???

I wouldn't call the whole living room thing odd- I tried talking my guy into moving the chair and a half downstairs and bringing MY bike in for the winter- my reasoning was I could work on it inside where it was warm! LOL It's not the forever home of the bike- as soon as it warms back up it would go out to the garage. He didn't buy it.

I think that's where I would draw the line though. I had found a house with a 4 car garage, and it had me sold before ever seeing the house- but he waited too long.. lol . Ironic thing is people we know bought it- and it's 3 cars and then walls put up to make a shop area...... perrrrrrrrrrfect!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about making a garage door into my other living room, I have a mobile home, with 2 living rooms and 3 bedrooms, and wanted to put a garage door in my extra living room with a nice ramp, would make it easier to haul wood in also, but being that I'm in a trailer park, and they don't want it looking "trashy", (a trailer park in a hick town, not looking trashy?) so no window unit air conditioners, so I'm guessing no garage door into the living room, but I could check, that would be the stuff! I'll try to post pic's when I can, I have some on Facebook of the motor torn apart, but when my mom gets home, btw, I live next door to my parents, but we aren't white trash.... No... Not us... But I'll get her camera when I can, I love my living room, 2 bikes, a couch pushed out of the way, was going to put it in the back bedroom since I don't use it, but it didn't fit down the hallway, which royally pissed me off, so it's along the short wall next to the lazy boy I don't use, and a couple dining room type chairs stacked on each other, although 1 is my workbench for the carbs right now... Can you say GIT ER DONE?!?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I don't think it is strange at all to put your bike in the living room. I would probably do likewise except that we have had a full sized pool table in ours for 30 years. The table is a bit to wide to make a elevated work bench for a bike, so I'll probably not slip a bike in mine.

As to washing parts in the dishwasher, I have been doing this for 30 years also. And with my wife's blessing. Or at least grudging consent. It works great on most parts, I don't put a complete engine in, but the accessory pieces work great. I also do chandelier restoration and always use the DW to clean the crystal while it is attached. They come out sparkling. Only once has all the crystal come off during the washing and the sump was full of 800 crystals and wouldn't let the door open.

Did I mention that I have the world's best wife?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quick way to find a drip pan

exhaust vent system

Organized parts bin

First thing you see when walking in my house

High class engine stand

Parts bike

Workbench

Carb table

Edit: I finally figured out how to post pics! I had all the links on, and tried posting, and it said not allowed the 1st 3 times....

·
Registered
810 Posts
OMG... did you really just suggest that???

I wouldn't call the whole living room thing odd- I tried talking my guy into moving the chair and a half downstairs and bringing MY bike in for the winter- my reasoning was I could work on it inside where it was warm! LOL It's not the forever home of the bike- as soon as it warms back up it would go out to the garage. He didn't buy it.

I think that's where I would draw the line though. I had found a house with a 4 car garage, and it had me sold before ever seeing the house- but he waited too long.. lol . Ironic thing is people we know bought it- and it's 3 cars and then walls put up to make a shop area...... perrrrrrrrrrfect!

I did. It's like my favorite uncle always said to me--'I got lots of ideas!' Occasionally I share them.

DMK keep looking. You'll get that 4 car garage!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Oh CDYOUNG! The carpet is unprotected even. And that is some thick pile. Looks like you may lose one of your box wrench's in it!

I really do envy you. Care free and living your dreams!!!

Thanks for sharing your pic's. They are priceless!

I agree to what you said about putting some plywood down. Trailer floors are built flimsy. The bike could topple or the stand could break through the particle board underneath. If that were to happen you could just cover the hole with a chair.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd put a new board down if it went through, doubt I'd do carpet anytime at all soon, I wear my boots when I'm in there anyway... And the carpet was shot before I put the bikes in, so I don't care if it gets more ruined, although I do TRY to catch all the oil in one of my handy catch pans, fortunately I have a few still in the cupboard lol

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Gopher, you wanted a picture of the "worlds best wife", so here is one of my wife shoveling the 19" snow from our 6 car garage driveway. Eat your hearts out guys and gals.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
well i geuss there went your rent deposit then huh?? o well atleast you can work were its warm ( i would do the same ) but my wife wont let me.......

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No deposit, I own the trailer... So I can destroy it as much as I want!!! I really wanna put a garage type door of even just a barn door in my extra living room to make it easier to get the bike and firewood in... That'd just be too cool, but probably too ******* for our "non-white trash" trailer park...

·
Registered
507 Posts
One of my buddies had a trailer once and we put down tile flooring in the front room all the way to the door. He used to rebuild stuff in that room many times. He used black grout so it was really easy to clean. I will never forget the first time his girlfriend came home and we were sitting on the floor with an engine in pieces trying to get a broken cam gear off. She wasn't so happy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts