Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an hour ride home yesterday, the bike seemed hard starting. The battery may be to blame? See the figures I came up with this morning after letting it sit overnight. Not sure the age of the battery but it went flat or nearly flat over the winter as my trickle charger failed. What do you think? It's not the stator because it obviously throws current?

Cold, sat overnight: 12.42v
Key on, no lights: 12.3v and dropping slowly
Key on, lights on: 11.7v and dropping
Lights off, cranking over: 9.8v
Lights on, cranking over: 8.8v

Running
3k rpm, lights off: 14.14v
3k rpm, lights on: 14.3-14.4v
Idle (tickover) 1.2k rpm, lights on: 11.73-11.8 (stood and watched it steadily fall)
Idle (tickover) 1.2k rpm, lights off: 12.2

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're a star, Mark. Hope all is well where you are! From wildfires to the plague! :oops: We're ok here, but a bit stir crazy. I'm an "ëssential worker" so I'm able to ride my bike to work. Before I posted my test results I checked that Wemoto were still carrying on so I ordered a Motobatt with 180 cca. Should be here soon via FedEx! I had a feeling the battery was the culprit as everything is ok. It went flat over winter and never really recovered. I added distilled water and it got marginally better, but still not quite there. Hang in there, Phreak. We're all in this together. Thanks for the reply, mate.

·
Super Moderator
20,361 Posts
I don't think too much of the world isn't effected FSJ.

I see your PM has it. Ours has disappeared with his government.

It's almost life as normal for me as I'm my wifes carer but a ,massive disruption to most. My job is not to catch it, not to transmit it and to go out as little as possible.

And still no toilet paper.;)

I had a comedy of misery here a couple of days ago with a feller wanting me to look at his newly purchased CX. It was non stock with switches hidden in odd spots. As we couldn't both be near the bike at the same time I couldn't see how he was starting it. It had a key switch under the rear of the seat so I assumed it had a start position.. It took me nearly an hour to find the micro push switch for the starter after he'd left the bike with me.

When he collected it I sprayed the bikes notes with disinfectant.

Of course, the biro ran.

Everybody keep safe wherever they are.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. It WAS my battery. Motobatt installed and problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts