Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this ad from a URAL dealer. If this sells near the asking price, I believe it may be a harbinger of prices to come. Or at least a guide on a sliding scale.
I would deduct a few bucks for the king/queen seat, but that's just me.

1978 Honda CX500 Windjammer SS

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Property

I also attached an image of the ad, if the URL goes down.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I like my ugly windjammer. Everytime I get on the bike, I start singing Purple Rain. I know Prince had a different bike and fairing, but I'm just reminded of him. I love parking next to Harleys, it gives me great joy and a good laugh. I don't know if that makes me an old ride or a bold ride.You decide. :cool:

Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'ld take a fair few dollars off for the Windjammer as well. Those things are ugly.
The CX won't ever win a beauty contest, as you can see in my avatar, I have the no frills Vindicator. Wouldn't go on long hauls without a fairing.
It does say in the add that it comes with all the original parts to put it back to the factory OEM nacelle.
I still have my original nacelle and parts too, incredible how the paint has sun faded and aged on the bike vs the stored nacelle. The metallic on the bike still looks decent, but nothing like the nacelle.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
As a younger man I rode many miles behind a Vetter on a Gl500, but now a Honda fairing which I do like. I always appreciated the Vetter though. Craig Vetter changed motorcycling in America, with our huge interstate highway system. That Vetter is still in my basement. 😁

Reactions: Thunder Muscle

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
431 Posts
The Vetter QuickSilver fairing is more suitable size for a 500 cc bike.

Although, very hard to find. I do have restored QuickSilver with mounts and install instructions. Its been on/off my bike. On in the cold months, Off in warm months. Considering selling it.

But the bike in the ad is priced at what the seller wants. What the seller gets is likely to be drastically different. Some price their belongings based on an emotional factor. They generally place more value on a possession than what a buyer does. Add on doodads do not change the book value. The doodads may increase curb appeal.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wouldn't go on long hauls without a fairing.
I quite agree. My main ride is an ST1300, and I have GL's (both 500 and 1200) and would not have a highway bike without a fairing.

But surely they could have looked better than a windjammer.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
431 Posts
A point for everyone to remember.

Craig Vetter designed these fairings in the 70's. At that time, these were landmark trend setting fairings. Sure, in this day the fairings are considered ungainly, clumsy, ugly........

Many modern bikes have integrated fairings with design roots in a wind tunnel. Those make more cohesive body lines and better air flow around the bike. Therefore, considered as having better aesthetics.

It has been a long time since I've seen aftermarket fairings to add to a bike. Typically, I only see the plastic windshields. 🤮

·
Registered
177 Posts
Typically, I only see the plastic windshields. 🤮
Not sure what you don't like about windshields.

The Plexifairing 3 has been the best addition to my Custom

It is awesome that can be installed or removed easily. I think it took 90 seconds to remove.
Being completely clear allows full view. Keeps me warmer in cool weather, dryer in the rain, reduces highway fatigue, less bugs on me.
Win- win product.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
431 Posts
@Bill S

If a plastic windshield suits your needs then more power to you.

Personally, I think the plastic windshields lack any personality or style and are ugly. But that's just my thought.

Your bike, your style.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I’ve ridden with Bill and must admit the ability to have it for a 200 mile highway ride, then remove it easily for a weekend of wind in your face rural secondary roads is nice. I use a “2 point mount” small shield on my CX500D for off interstate and rarely take it off as it’s small. The GL650I is my, well, the I says it all.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I’ve ridden with Bill and must admit the ability to have it for a 200 mile highway ride, then remove it easily for a weekend of wind in your face rural secondary roads is nice.
+1 on that! (y)

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,483 Posts
I like my small Spitfire windshield. It's mostly invisible, but it blocks enough wind to be comfortable on the highway.

Reactions: richnct

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,977 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the clear windshield on my GoldWing (Memphis Shades Alley Cat with Slipstreamer hardware) is cleaning behind it. And mine isn't as convoluted or as big as something like a Plexifairing. It is much easier to clean the full fairing on Eccles (not that I do very often).
But other than cleaning I much prefer the look of a bike with a windshield to one with a full fairing so if I had the choice (& come to think about it I have the parts if I wanted to) I wouldn't trade the windshield for a fairing.
(Yes, Eccles has a full fairing but when the temperature is below -20c I'm more interested in blocking the wind than aesthetics).

BTW: I thought the same as Newt about not seeing aftermarket fairings lately so I googled it and there are a lot of them available. Fortnine has an assortment but mostly knock offs of Harley Batwings and bikini fairings but I also found several websites that specialize on fairings, both replacement bodywork for sport bikes and for customizing other bikes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts