Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is it a sickness to purchasing these bikes? Saw this one for sale @ $250 and couldn't refuse. Photo's are by PO and I paid for her today,only a 4 hour drive. She's not in my garage yet, but will be on Friday. It was up in Quebec and is sitting at my friend and translators cottage. Was going to steal some parts off of it to "upgrade" my 500C but I may just try to restore her as is.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I could really use the headlight, bucket, mounts, turn signals (front) and windshield if you decide to part it out. Keep me in mind!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Some people have all the luck - this is one really good base for a restoration

·
Registered
583 Posts
Restore that one, and take lots of pics. I never do and always regret it.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, some people may call it a "sickness" but I really dont buy that hooey. It is more of an "addiction", as unlike a sickness.... there is NO cure
I think its a super deal and I would sure give a shot at restoring it, and only part it if it was unsalvageable. I would love to grab bikes like this (once I got over the I dont want to sell it, I will keep it with my other 47 bikes) and get them back on the road. You sure wont make a lot of money doing it, and most time you may only break even, but just think about how many of these bikes are riding around right now giving their owners a thrill, that have been restored by others.

Well, for all of us that CAN restore a bike, we are in tinker heaven, and for those who cant, they will possible end up with one that one of us tinkerers have brought back to life. What better feeling can you have (aside from working on and riding your own bike) than to know that somewhere out there is a person riding a bike you brought back from the dead

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
As above.Glass half full glass half empty.

If you are a positive kind of person then it's great owning a couple of these because once you know how to fix them(Which isn't really hard) you always have a working bike and sometimes two

The initial amount of money I paid out over my first few years ownership buying spare engines and parts bike mega deal e.g 75 beer tokens for a full CX500 in bits with two engines(both shagged but no problem to make a decent one out of both engines) means I now have two fully working CX500s and enough to make a 3rd if I ever get round to it and have a bit of spare cash.I've paid out very little to run either or both my CX500s in the past four years

·
Registered
993 Posts
Unless you own a home, owning multiple bikes gets to be problematic, especially if you move much. My line of work has me moving every 3-5 years to follow the work. Owning multiple bikes is fun but also logistically difficult. Living in an apartment if you own two bikes you can occupy one space and unless another biker takes your second space you have a parking spot. Owning more than two bikes and a car in an apartment is going to usually require you to have a storage space for the bike somewhere. Plus, most apartment complexes won't let you wrench on a bike in your apartment or in the parking lot...

FWIW, David

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's official. I shall have 2 bikes....eventually. Thanks for all the input. Now I'll have lots to do over the winter. Just need to winterize part of my garage. -40C makes it hard to work outside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts