Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the latest issue of Motorcyclist magazine (Sept) and got to the last page. The title of the blurb is: "Twentieth century rewind poised to spike sales of Viragos, Leg Warmers".

The gist of the article is that Yamaha is making new 80's era Viragos from original tooling.

And here is the next line: "And insiders tell us Honda just rolled a CX650 Custom out of the museum and into the coordinate measuring room. It's ON!".

How about them apples?

·
Registered
948 Posts
That's really great! I wonder if they would welcome our 2¢? Probably not - hopefully the bike will be fuel injected with an electric fan.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ha, that'd be pretty awesome.

Kawasaki seems to have done something similar with the W650 and W800.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure that Honda will be contacting our forum shortly for our input into the new CX650. Just to be ready with some ideas, here are mine.

1. Fuel injected (as tensleep mentioned, the 650's already had an electric fan)

2. External alternator (no more stator problems)

3. Better headlight

4. Larger fuel tank (I would think around 5 gallons would be fine)

5. Fuel gage

6. Electronic tach (no more pesky cables)

7. Twin disks front brakes, single disk rear.

8. Visual way to check on cam chain wear without removing rear cover.

9. Possible external water pump. (No more worry about coolant in the oil)

10. Optional thinner seat for the vertically challanged.

You know we muse in jest sometimes, but I'll bet that Honda has accessed this forum for ideas and thoughts. They would be fools not to take advantage of all resources if they are actually interested in reviving the CX650.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,480 Posts
I'm sure that Honda will be contacting our forum shortly for our input into the new CX650. Just to be ready with some ideas, here are mine...
But you're describing an entirely different bike that just looks like the old CX.

Maybe if, like Yamaha, Honda were to reuse the original design and tooling, upgrades like EFI could be retrofitted to the old bikes.

R

·
Registered
187 Posts
You know I was just thinking about this, when I got off the bike in the carpark this morning.

Why not revive the CX, it's a nice looking V-twin. The Guzzi's are doing well. There's plenty of guys I know who like V-twin's, especially across frame ones.

We should get hold of a contact at Honda and let them know our thoughts and ideas.

They might even make a larger capacity, 800cc or 1000cc yipee!

Curt

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too would be very keen on Honda repro'ng the CX but, there is is no way they need to CMM any thing on the bike. Honda will have every measurment, part number, build scheme on file with the tooling lists.

I suspect we are falling victim to a magazine spoof or attempt at a laugh.

with that being said .......... I have deposit money in hand, whom to I send it to?

Peace out

Owen

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I LIKE the Viragos!

I also have deposit money waiting for a new CX650...

Imagine a cool bike that has a Warranty!

All the new bike look the same to me now.

The only ones I like the the NT700V and the DN01. The DN01 only having an automatic transmission sucks although!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here here to the recommendations above.

Well....to be ready for Honda's engineers, as a current 650E owner, I'd hope the new CX "sport" version would look something like this artistic conception below.

In addition to the sport version, I'd also like a full sport-cruising fairing version, and then a full Intersate type cruiser as well. I guess I'm suggesting a full CX bike line.

If so, I too have some deposit money available.

FYI, the drawing below was shown earlier on the "turbo" forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.